Arizona highways

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by camper, Dec 30, 2008.

1. camper

camper TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Wow was I surprised to discover that AH now accepts digital images. I never thought I'd see the day. I go back a long way. 50 years of photography. Not a pro or anything but it has always been a sort of avocation. I even had a dark room once.

But Arizona Highways...going digital... imagine that.

I had a Rollie once and got a really great shot down near Organ Pipe. I sent it to them and they sent it back. They said they do not accept anything except 8x10. Now one would wonder why? Why do you need 8x10? are you making contact prints for your magazine? I mean there is no way lithographic or other commercial printing machine can print 5% of the information on an 8x10. But I shrugged and forgot about it.

Some 20 years later they agreed to take 4x5s but even still. A magazine cannot print that data. I have taken 35mm shots with more detail... examine the magazine under a scope sometime.. you will see.

They said once in an article that they were sticking with large format film until which time digital "caught up" in resolution. Something like "a 4x5 has nearly 50 megapixels of information". Well first of all that is bull! Film is analog and the only way it can be nailed down digitally is to scan it. Guess what? after you scan it is no longer analog... no longer film.. it is digital. So I knew they were BSing... again.

So now they take digital but only RAW. They say they don't want it to be manipulated in Photoshop. You know of course that the magazine editor and the printer have "ALWAYS" manipulated the film. Saturation. Cropping. Contrast. Like since the beginning of time.

These guys are liars and feel threatened by digital. I say to them, get out of the way or find another line of work.

OK... finished the rant

2. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ... I wonder if this is spam or not.

3. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    When National Geographic goes digital the world as we know it will come to an end. :lol: