armor case for my SLR

Lavarocker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I live in Hawaii and take a lot of pictures on the beach and on the water. What do you all think about an armor case to protect the camera from sand and humidity?

thanks!!!

what camera do you use? If you're shooting with a D200 or 1D, than i'd say don't worry about it, but if you're on a Rebel or D50 than yes, do it.

Visit Camera Armor (http://www.cameraarmor.com/). They make this product and it is great (I have it for my D70).

MP

While thats good for dings and banging around. Not really made for humidity/sand

If you don't have a Sealed body (Higher end like 1D's) Then your only true option for humidity/sand/splashes would be a underwater case or a bag of some sort.

Common sense and taking good care of your camera will help more than anything else.

Common sense and taking good care of your camera will help more than anything else.

Common sense and taking good care of my camera always meant to me that, if I wanted pictures of activities at the beach, then, I would not be part of the activities . . . I don't see how you can spend the day at the beach as a participant in the fun and still take pictures with anything more than a throw away camera.

If you swim, play in the sand, etc., your camera is almost certain to get contaminated with water, worse, sand.

Once sand gets in your camera or the lens, then, repair is generally prohibitive.

Caruso

I have my gear in Pelican cases. Water tight, they float, and I think a truck could run over it and the gear would survive. I use a 1650 for my cameras as a gig case, and a 1490 for the laptop, external HD, etc. They also sell small silica gel packs to absorb moisture when the case is closed, and they have a vent devise that keeps air pressure neutral while keeping out water/humidity. A worthwhile investment IMO.

That whole armor thing seems like a good idea, but, I still think that it would hold moisture between the body and the coating unless taken off everyday.

I have my gear in Pelican cases. .... A worthwhile investment IMO.

Pelican cases are great, but I can't afford one. My Rebel lives in an old steel ammo case. Just as indestructible and water-proof, but MUCH heavier and doesn't float. Costs about $10.

I take my camera gear to the beach all the time. I just place my bag usually in the middle of the blanket and make sure I dry/wipe my hands off before opening it up or using it. Never had any problems yet.

I second Pelican if you can afford it.

Pelican 1650 is over a $100 bucks and even more with the divider set.

It is a WHOLE lot cheaper than cases from Lowepro or Tamrac.
It is a WHOLE lot tougher and waterproof than offerings from Lowepro or Tamrac.
It is certified for handcarry on US airplanes ( My cloths go under the plain not my camera stuff).

and it is worth every penny.

Seriously... save up and this case will serve you well for years of travel. I also have a cable hanging off of the padlock... I use it to lock the case to objects when it might be out of sight for a short time.

Pelican 1650 is over a $100 bucks and even more with the divider set.

It is a WHOLE lot cheaper than cases from Lowepro or Tamrac.
It is a WHOLE lot tougher and waterproof than offerings from Lowepro or Tamrac.
It is certified for handcarry on US airplanes ( My cloths go under the plain not my camera stuff).

and it is worth every penny.

Seriously... save up and this case will serve you well for years of travel. I also have a cable hanging off of the padlock... I use it to lock the case to objects when it might be out of sight for a short time.

The 1650 is overkill for one camera and a few lenses. You could probably get away with a smaller model, and your equipment will be just as safe. A fellow photog has his gear in a 1600, a lot smaller and easier to carry, but still can hold 2 bodies and 4 lenses including a 70-200 f/2.8 zoom.

Most reactions

Back