Army Basic graduation

Maydaywood

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My brother graduated from basic training today at Fort Sill(same battalion as I did :) ) And I corralled him for long enough to take a few portraits of him. These are my two favorite. Simple head shots because there was nothing interesting for backgrounds besides buildings and roads. Both are natural lighting with a white shoot through umbrella to diffuse some of the midday Oklahoma sun. Looking for some harsh C/C because I took a slightly different approach to the post processing in each. What do you think about the colors in the skin?
DSC_8273-Edit.jpg
DSC_8433-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
I like the one on the right a lot more. Cooler WB makes his white shirt actually white here. But be warned--many think my images are too blue, so take my advice with only a few cents :)

I like the top photo, the lighting looks more natural.

I like the second one, mostly because his eyes draw me in more because they are more focused.

Skin color looks good. First photo is better. Second one is too soft, and his expression is not great.

I like the top photo, the lighting looks more natural.

that's because it was shot at 135mm vs 50mm.

both are decent, but I too prefer the top. Just wish both had more DOF.

I agree about the DOF, in hindsight I wish I had gone with a deeper DOF for both. Does the background bother anybody in the top one? I can't decide if the lines are distracting at all.

it reads immediately as a cannon to me...

I agree about the DOF, in hindsight I wish I had gone with a deeper DOF for both. Does the background bother anybody in the top one? I can't decide if the lines are distracting at all.
It didn't bother me until you drew attention to it.

Most reactions

Back