Around again

erniehatt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have brought this one up again. I have just put together a macro setup, and thought that this was a good subject to try it on, as it is only 1/4 inch at it's widest Part. I did post it befor but was somewhat dissapointed, as I would like to see if I am heading in the right direction. Thanks Ernie

Clover.jpg

If you want serious critique (which it sounds like you do) you may be better posting in the critique forum.

The first thing I'll say about this is that it's too big. I find it difficult to see the composition properly when I have to scroll to see the full image. So I won't comment on the comp. ;)

It's a bit over-sharpened for my taste. The sharpening borders around the centre of the flower are just too defined.

Camera? Settings? Could you have got more DOF?

There're a couple of marks in the bottom left that look like the result of noise reduction/sharpening combination. I'd clone them out.

The bokeh looks quite nice but again it's hard to tell at this size.

With me, it fits my high resolution-19-inch screen just right, but I happened to be on this board with a friend earlier today with a screen like the one I used to have, and she would not have been able to see this flower in one, either...

Which does not make it any less beautiful, and the macro photo any less stunning.
But like MarcTwo, I also find it a bit too sharp in the centre of the flower, and too bright, but that may well be my monitor which gives off fairly bright pictures. (Therefore mine may well be too dark for some...)

Composition is so that I cannot really find fault, but the picture begins to "dance" or "wobble" when I look for it too long. Wonder why...

I kind of get what the above posts are saying but I like the DOF and I like the texture and "feel" of the flower. I like the way the flower pops out and, if I were to change anything, I would PS out the two little marks on the bottom left corner. I didn't notice it before but now that someone has pointed it out, I can't seem to ignore it.

As I mentioned before, I really like your floral photos. This is no exception.

i think it could use more DOF, it seems unnaturally flat to me. The Pistoles dont stick out like they should which could be fixed by different shaddow angles or a slight offcentered shot...
cool flower though, what kind is it?

since this post is already in a critique mode we'll leave it here.

i believe what would help us all Ernie, is for you to tell us what direction you're trying to head in. otherwise, we'll be haphazardly poking at it, and people will skip over it like before. which is why i encourage members to follow the guidelines in the critique gallery when posting there ;) but let's leave it here and see what transpires. my comments at this point are:

it has an oversharpened feel...especially the center
there are specs to be removed
flower is placed too high in frame
i assume the overall width is 7/8 inch?
would you mind posting the original for comparision?
would you allow an OTE (okay to edit) for others to explain their take?

my main issue is that the image doesn't look like a macro. this could easily be a flower that measures 4 inches in diameter. what could be done to achieve the macro look? is that your intention?

OK, well on the DOF, first you need to know something of the subject, which will answere Jons question. It an Oxalis, which is a weed that takes over your lawn if your not carefull, and it is very close to the ground, and very small, so I believe any further DOF is out of the question. Yes I agree the centre is too sharp. Size wise, well it's the same size,as images I have posted on other forums, and they always seem to work Ok there, what is an appropriate size for here.
Jon, Yes you are correct in your last assumptions, I have recently bought a Macro attachment for the f717, and this was my first effort with it, are there any little tricks I can use to improve. And I have no objections to anyone playing around with any of my images, if it helps to achieve an end result. Thanks all, this is what I have been looking for, I know that the Critique Forum should be the place to go, but unfortunately I have not been over successful there in the past. Camera settings were f7 at 1/200s.Ernie
Here we are Jon, original, untouched, and reduced to 600 on the long side, with the setup this was the closest I could get, 113 mm. Ernie

DSC03785.jpg

erniehatt said:
I know that the Critique Forum should be the place to go, but unfortunately I have not been over successful there in the past. Ernie

same here...no-one ever likes my stuff :greenpbl:

Ernie, do you have the original to post? i usually size my stuff to a maximum width of 650 pixels if this helps ya.

I have to agree with jon mikal's assessment but the exposure on the yellow is really good. Yellow is one of the harder colours to expose properly IMO.

now, i get the sense of macro with the blades of grass and clovers more defined. is that the feel you're going after or did you want more emphasis on the flower itself by close cropping? my only concern is if you crop it close as before, you'll loose the macro touch. anyone else????

In the second shot, I can see the size of the flower in relation to the grass. The first pic gives the flower a "velvet" feel, but in the second the flower seems to have a new look. Im not really good with the macro stuff, but I feel the first one, is amazing for an "artsy" look, but the second is more realistic. I hope I made sense there, cause now Im confusing me. :confused:

Now that I see it in full, I can see imediately what makes me uncomfortable about this photo - there's no stem!

The stem is very important to me in flora pic's as it gives the subject context within it's surroundings. And on a macro note, you'll often get details on the stem that make people say "wow, that's close up".

As JonMikal said, the grass adds to the macro effect but it also distracts from the subject.

I'm afraid I'd have to say shoot it again but try to shoot at an angle that will get the stem. And as these are many, try to shoot one that doesn't have such harsh distractions so close to it.

Also, if you shoot at an angle the frame will be more naturally dictated. ;)

Jon, Chiller, I thank you for the very constructive comments, I now have a better feel for what is required.
Marktwo, thank you also for your very straight shooting, I had another look at the said flowers, but unfortunately they are so close to the ground and spread within the grass, there is no visible stem, but I take your point. Ernie

Most reactions

New Topics

Back