Around the Barn - Young cowboy portraits c&c

sjconner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.conner-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some portraits I took this morning of a 14 year old cowboy. By the time we got to the last one he was pretty fed up with the whole thing. Let me know about lighting, comp. etc. I used my kit lens. I need to get a light meter so I can use my 50mm f1.7 manual lens better. The green window is distracting in number two but I didn't have anything to cover it with.

Thanks, Susan

Susan

Any good cowboy likes to be roughed up some. Next time kick his butt and you will get some 'real' cowboy shots. I learned that watching John Wayne back in the '60s. :mrgreen:

I like #2
The colors, lighting and his expression all work well to keep the "cowboy" idea.

*It might be pretty cool if you could also get some shots of the barn. It looks rustic from what I can see in one of the photos.

I agree - #2 is my favorite. :)

This young man's hero is John Wayne. He was telling me that John Wayne's birthday is tomorrow and he is planning on doing a John Wayne movie marathon. His mom was shaking her head.

He wants me to photograph him with his horse named Red. That request will take some thought. I am not sure I want to photograph looking up at him. Or just have him on foot. We'll see. Any suggestions?

Susan

This young man's hero is John Wayne. He was telling me that John Wayne's birthday is tomorrow and he is planning on doing a John Wayne movie marathon. His mom was shaking her head.

He wants me to photograph him with his horse named Red. That request will take some thought. I am not sure I want to photograph looking up at him. Or just have him on foot. We'll see. Any suggestions?

Susan

I think I have seen most of John Wayne's movies about 20 times. :mrgreen:

Susan
If I were you, I would take him up on the offer. Try different things, things that you may not even be comfortable with. At worst you spend some time practicing how to delete shots. ;)

I want to shoot him with his horse. At his place there just isn't much to climb on. I want to take some at eye level with him on the horse. For one pose, I thought I might have him on his horse with his cheek resting on the horse's neck and arms wrapped around the horse's neck. Would that be too girly?

He is a blast to be around. His favorite John Wayne movie is The Cowboys. I think he was watched most of John Wayne's movies except for the McQ ones.

Again, Thank You!

Susan

Yeah John Wayne. I live in the state he's from. Your photos of him are really good, especially #1 and #2. I would've taken one of him from head to toe next to the barn door or window for #1 and the green door in the back of the barn is really cool, gives somewhat of a mysterious feel to it.

Nice work; the one thing that strikes me though is that he is too clean. He needs a bit of dust & dirt on him, at least in a few shots.

Nice work. I really like these.

When I looked at them I was thrown back to the old west... I miss those days. :lol:

Anyway, what if you converted them to Sepia or even B&W... kinda like...

sepiaCowboy.jpg

Just a thought...

Most reactions

Back