arrgghhh...so many choices...which telephoto lens to get?

huyness

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all, I'm new to the world of photography. I just started with my first DSLR in March and now I'm trying to get more "serious" andi need some help. I have a rebel xs with a tamron 17-50mm 2.8 lens and I want something telephoto for outdoor shots. I'm going to a kite festival on sunday. the only problem is i'm poor :(

so what's a better buy for $300? A used Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

41HM9MSJXAL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

or a Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM without IS

21pFH9gv6zL._SL500_AA250_.jpg

Both are used on craigslist in good condition. I don't plan on going safari anytime soon, so i don't need the extra 100mm, but it would be nice to not have to hold the camera for long periods of time to get a sharp picture.

I already tried the Canon 28-135mm USM IS and i didn't find it was worth the money. Any suggestions?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hello all, I'm new to the world of photography. I just started with my first DSLR in March and now I'm trying to get more "serious" andi need some help. I have a rebel xs with a tamron 17-50mm 2.8 lens and I want something telephoto for outdoor shots. I'm going to a kite festival on sunday. the only problem is i'm poor :(

so what's a better buy for $300? A used Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

41HM9MSJXAL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

or a Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM without IS

21pFH9gv6zL._SL500_AA250_.jpg

Both are used on craigslist in good condition. I don't plan on going safari anytime soon, so i don't need the extra 100mm, but it would be nice to not have to hold the camera for long periods of time to get a sharp picture.

I already tried the Canon 28-135mm USM IS and i didn't find it was worth the money. Any suggestions?

Got to a photography store that carries both pieces of glass, with your body and an empty CF card and give them a try. You will be walking out with the F4L The optical quality and build will should be readily noticeable. :D

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
luckily in SF we have a camera rental store called Calumet with affordable prices. however the deposit is 100% of the price of the glass, so i can't really affording renting a L lens since i'm clumsy :(

Compact flash? Please...the XS uses velvety SDHC cards :)

Ditto. L-lenses are just fantastic. (Dammit it all. Now that I have one I don't know if I can muster the strength to buy non-L glass again.)

dammit i found the 70-200mm f4 on craigslist for $300 and i emailed/phoned 45 minutes after the ad was placed, and now the ad has been removed. I guess he figured out $300 was waaaay to low of a price.

arrgggh....

luckily in SF we have a camera rental store called Calumet with affordable prices. however the deposit is 100% of the price of the glass, so i can't really affording renting a L lens since i'm clumsy :(

Compact flash? Please...the XS uses velvety SDHC cards :)

I can't imagine that SF, CA does not have one decent camera store that would have both lenses in stock that you could look at and try right there in the store. I prefer to not purchase a lens that I have not shot and take the copy I am satisfied with.

Hey gryphon, do you go in and shoot tethered to get a large preview and really check the lens for inconsistencies, or just use the LCD?

My local photography shop has a mac set up on the sales floor. After I check the lenses I am interested in I just pull the card, they load the photos and I take a look at them to see which lens produced the quality I like.

I can't imagine a good photography shop not doing post production work, printing etc so they should have something in the building that works with the gear they sell. Here in the midwest I have not found a photography shop that can't accomplish this on site.

My local photography shop has a mac set up on the sales floor. After I check the lenses I am interested in I just pull the card, they load the photos and I take a look at them to see which lens produced the quality I like.

I can't imagine a good photography shop not doing post production work, printing etc so they should have something in the building that works with the gear they sell. Here in the midwest I have not found a photography shop that can't accomplish this on site.

Eh, the local place I go to most often doesn't have such a set-up. They do printing, but I don't think they'd actually let me use their computers, because of lousy policy (regardless of how many thousands of dollars I've now left there...*sigh*).

Eh, the local place I go to most often doesn't have such a set-up. They do printing, but I don't think they'd actually let me use their computers, because of lousy policy (regardless of how many thousands of dollars I've now left there...*sigh*).

You never know until you ask. Besides, what's 5 minutes of time for a $500 sale?

If I was making $100 a minute, I think I could be happy. Anyone that says money can't buy happiness just doesn't know where to shop. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

You have to keep in mind, I'm not talking about Best Buy, Wolf camera, or some place like that. I'm taking about a brick and mortar single owner, single old time photography shop. What little bit extra you pay for in price over the online dealers I have found has been made up for in service. Don't get me wrong, I have and do buy from places like B&H & Adorama. They are fantastic, but I live in the midwest. If I have a piece of equipment that I bought from them give me problems, they don't have the ability to lend me one on the spot for a shoot. My local store does, and has. We have built a relationship over the years.

Last edited:
The 70-200 F4L is still one of my favorite lenses. IF you notice my sig, I have it and the F2.8l IS. I still use the F4L a LOT. It's tack sharp and very light, compared to it's big brother. When I am going on outdoor trips, I always grab that lens. I also use it for sports shots.

I'd suggest you buy it. You will spend more, but it will also hold it's value over the long term. I doubt you will ever sell it. :)

Without a doubt, get the 70-200 f/4L

Especially for $300!! That is a steal!

OP, for the 75-300mm IS, that is the old lens replaced by 70-300mm IS. The new version is much better optically and has a newer IS.

I'd suggest you buy it. You will spend more, but it will also hold it's value over the long term. I doubt you will ever sell it. :)

unfortunately the $300 listing has been removed. i did find another one for $400, so i'm mulling over if i have the cash (and resolve) to buy it. i'm currently unemployed, so $400 is a lot of money.

I tell you, photography is worse than crack. thanks for the feedback everyone!

Buy the lens for $400, play with it and keep it in good shape. If you want to sell it back, you may be able to sell it back for $400.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back