ARRRGH HELP! Traveling and my 18-200vr won't focus at length anymore

rgower

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So basically i just popped it out of the bag and everything works fine... up until around 135. It will not focus on long distance subjects. I even tried to focus manually, but it stops just short of focusing. This is the first ever hardware problem i've experienced with photography, and i'm relatively new to the scene. Is this a common problem? Can it be fixed in a few hours at a local camera store? Can i fix it myself? HELLLLP

There is nothing that you can do but send it in. Is it still under warranty?

Are you sure its not a setting on camera or lens? On what camera is it doing this?

nikon d300. I'm pretty certain its the lens. It wont focus on long distance objects.... even if i focus as far away as possible manually, it stops just short. So i have to send it in? I'm traveling though.... So i guess just use it as best I can for the next few months and then send it in? The lens in only 2 months old or so so it should be under warranty.

It won't focus or it is soft? I have that lens and although it is handy (I use this lens the most) it is very soft on the long end.

Does the focus not move at all or does it just shift around aimlessly and end up with a soft focus?

Try pointing it at a bright, detailed object at the long end. Does it still not work?

No. Ok. I don't know the technical terms so imagine it this way. I switch to manual and extend the zoom to 200. Then I set the focus really close, so the blur is as blurry as possible i guess. Then, slowly, I start focusing further away. The imagine gets less and less blurry, but just a bit before it seems like it will focus, the focus ring stops turning. Its left out of focus enough that it will not autofocus on 200.... unless I'm using 200 to zoom in extra close to an already nearby object.

Hope that clarifies the problem.

How close is the subject that you are focusing on from the front of the lens?

Call me Tom.... If the subject is close, say 20 feet or closer, I can zoom in full 200 and focus.... However, if the subject is far... for example I was at the top of Notre Dame in Paris today, looking over the city. Off in the distance, there was a motorcylce crash, and a dead body covered up. Call me creepy, but I was curious and tried to zoom in.... at that distance the lens wouldn't focus past 55

I've experienced the issue you described only in low light situations on a D200. I've neither handled nor used a D300 but from the descriptions that I've read on the net I would assume that this would either be a non issue or relatively minute given the high ISO capabilities of the D300. Can you confirm day or night usage when this issue arises?

Did you try changing metering or focusing modes? Test it out on different camera settings. I am starting to think it is a user error, not the lens. :)

I also own a D200 and the 18-200VR lens. It can do this in low light situations and if your camera is set different ways.

No. In low light settings the lens won't autofocus, but you can still manually focus it to get a sharp picture of a distant object.

I can't get it to autofocus on a distant object (maybe 50 meters) at full zoom..... You know how if you focus on a distant object manually, there's that point where it comes in focus and then, if you continue to roll the focus ring, it becomes out of focus? Mine never reaches this point. The ring plain and simply runs out of room.

bump

whats the deal, is this lens busted?

I tried out the lens again this weekend and the only way that I could consistently repeat the issue that you described was in low light situations or in scenes that didn't have a lot of contrast.

If it won't even focus manually, I would at least test it on another camera to see if the result is the same, and then send it in if it fails to focus on the other body.

If you don't have a 2nd body, you could try taking it to a camera store and ask to try it on one of their cameras.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back