Arsenal of Democracy World War II Victory Capitol Flyover

Braineack

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was able to get access to a really cool vantage for the VE day flyover. It was a really awesome sight to see.

The lighting was crummy as hell. It was humid and hazy and the flyover started at 12 noon. Each shot got progressively better as the sun became more and more directional and the sky became more and more blue and clear. Had the flyover been at 3pm it would have been SO much better.

I had lots of sucess at 1/1600sec without VC vs. 1/1250sec with or w/o VC in terms of sharp captures and keepers. Only the mustangs flew the correct path and height so I was hand holding since the planes were very unpredictable from the direction of approach and my building I was on prevented you from being able to see them coming.

Here's a couple of my favorite shots of the hour, along with the full set:

Arsenal of Democracy World War II Victory Capitol Flyover - an album on Flickr

Trainer Formation - North American AT-6 Texan
by The Braineack, on Flickr

Curtiss P-40 Warhawks

Consolidated B-24 Liberator "Diamond Lil"

North American P-51 Mustangs

North American P-51 Mustangs over D.C.

Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress "Aluminum Overcast"

Douglas C-47 Skytrain "Miss Virginia"

Boeing B-29 Superfortress "FiFi"

Boeing B-29 Superfortress "FiFi"

Missing Man Formation

My parents went and saw them yesterday at the airport and got to get inside a few of them. I might go after work tomorrow and see them in person as well. For $500 I can even fly in one :p

Very nice shots! I like the Warhawks and Mustangs, as well as FiFi!

I would have loved to see this formation flyover. Nice pics!

Great shots... do you have any with a slightly slower shutter speed and a bit of motion blur on the propellers?
lol. i wondered that too. But the shots seem about spot on, he did great imo and made that comment on the ss in the original post. ..

Great event. I was there too (between the Lincoln Memorial and the Potomac on the steps). Very nice work Braineac--well done!

Great shots... do you have any with a slightly slower shutter speed and a bit of motion blur on the propellers?

No I don't unfortunately. I started at 1/1250 and went to 1/1600sec. I wanted to make sure I got crisp clear shots as this was a once in a lifetime thing. Had they all flown over like the formation of Mustangs I would have kept the monopod on and tried a few slightly slower shutter pans. But my keeper rate are even 1/1250 at 600mm was significantly less than at 1/1600. When It's apparent in the LCD you know you got issues. :p

Arsenal of Democracy?! Lol that is like "Chainsaw of Peace"

I like the one with the Washington monument in the background.

Yeah I was really happy that they flew low and was able to catch them with Georgetown and DC behind them--they were eye-level to me.

Were were expecting them all to flew that same route and elevation, but it was a bit random from formation to formation. Some cut the corner, some flew directly overhead, some came from my right. Made it hard to maintain a starting position for my lens, and I couldn't see the approach.

A few of the planes that did fly directly overhead, I wish I was able to go to the other side of my building for. The two formations I moved for they flew so far away from my building that I was able to get any keepers of them.

The Tamron did a bang-up job nailing and maintaining focus--granted most were flying slow.

Shutter speed way too fast, static props is a big minus

I was more than willing to freeze the props in order to achieve crisp clear shots. Doesn't bother me at all.

I haven't much practice with the lens and the approaches were too random to fool around with panning and slow shutters. Even at 1/1250sec I was getting a lot of blurred shots as I was handholding at 600mm. My keeper rate jumped significantly once I bumped up to 1/1600.

Granted I should have tried a few at 1/1000 or 1/500, but there was nothing to practice on and I wanted to make sure I was able to capture them all.

in your opinion.

What a great opportunity. Nice to see Fifi again -- I understand there's a chance another B29 will join her in Oshkosh this year. It would be amazing to see two in the air together.

The Washington Monument is a big plus. Prop blur would have been nice. The B-29 looks elegant the B-24, (from your angle), doesn't even look airworthy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back