Art center?

Funky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, im having a hard time deciding if i need to go to college for photography. its a toss up between photography and taking the 12 year road to becoming a doctor.....so, im leaning towards going to art center in LA and its regarded as the best art school in the world but ii dont know if spending 60k a year for college is needed. i guess what im getting at is is college needed for higher end photography jobs? and any suggestions on colleges would be nice to. i have about 6 months to decide so any input would be greatly appreciated.
:cheers:
Zack

Do you have the dedication to be self-taught? One of the things that a university degree offers is a set structure to learn within, but you do pay for it. Where do you live? In my area, you could learn all you need to know about photography technically by taking classes at the Community Darkroom and the Visual Studies Workshop, and even some art aspects, but you'd have to stay on yourself to put it to good use.

What are you planning on doing with photography?

I'd also search the forum for other threads. This has been brought up quite a few times.

Well ive been into photography since i was 8, so i guess you could say im dedicated. ive been selling since i was 12 so i already have a base down. i live in simi valley about 20 miles from LA so i guess im close to art center.
im planning on traveling the world no matter what fild of photography i get into...life need to be fun right?

the art schools I see usually are total rip-offs. Id say if you have the means of living rent free, just get either 2 years, or 4 years out of the way and then start photographing full tim, that way if you dont end up liking it you have something to fall back on, but if you know 100% thats what you want to do with your life, just take the photo classes you NEED at night, and shoot all day long, never looking back.... muhahahaha

What type of photography do you want to do? That's one of the biggest questions. You'd be spending 60K a year plus the cost of a studio and equipment from the beginning. If you were a doctor you could be teaching yourself in your spare time and if you decided to pursue photography professionally you would have the money to do so.

However it really depends on which one you feel you would be happier doing

Well, art center is the top art college in the world..i mean its owned by disney. heres the web site http://www.artcenter.edu/ but yeah i dont really have a specific kind of picture i like to take. i guess you could check out my flickr page under this post and go a few pages back on it and maybe see some kind of repetitive theme.

Art Center owned by Disney? Nah. Samsung tried to "buy" it but didn't work out.

Art Center is not known for photography. 2 types of people go to art center. Extremely talented people who have scholarship. Extremely rich kids who are talented too.

Art Center is famous for Entertainment design(for movies etc), Car design and product design. If you are not going there for either of these, then you really shouldn't dropping the money. It's a huge sum.

Fully a personal question. Now if it was me... I would choose artskool. Not only any artskool; Art Center of LA! My college experience was worth every penny. Of course working your way up the ladder is an education in it's self. Point is if you have the opportunity choose college. I have a strong aversion to doctors, so do not go down that route.

lol! samsung tried to buy it? jeez. yeah my mom went there and got hired before she could finish her second year and was hired at disney interactive..i know about 10 people that went there, like my good friend teddy that was the lead charecter designer for the incredibles so i guess i have alot of in's into the well yeah art buisness but i want to do photography so im a little stuck. i need to find the top photography school and go to it because if im going to get hired by someone like well not that it will ever happen but for talking purposes, national geographic i need to get into the best school that can expand my photography eye.

Expanding your photography will always be up to you. Generally college only gives you the power of knowledge. Not feeling.

Best artskool. Parsons. Brooklyn, NY. Best Photography program; School of Visual Arts. Manhattan. Rhode Island School of Design is the place if you are a more scientific photographer. Clearly I have an east cost bias, but these are strong schools that you should also consider.

There are definately a lot more rich doctors than rich photographers. Heck, no matter how much they earn, there's a lot more doctors with a career in medicine, than photographers with a career in photography.

Art school sounds fun to me though.

My dad always told me there are three things to having a successful career:

1) Do something you love
2) Do something you're good at
3) Do something you can make money at

As far as photography is concerned, you may love it and be good at it, but its dificult to make a living out of it. Thus, my suggestion would be to pursue a medical career and retain photography as a hobby.

When you do get the oppurtunity to take photos, you will enjoy it more if it is a hobby. Shooting for money takes fun and inspiration out of the mix.

Go to med school become a doctor so you can finance your photography. I know a pro Photographer that did seemlier he when to law school. Now he is both a lawyer and pro photographer

My dad always told me there are three things to having a successful career:

1) Do something you love
2) Do something you're good at
3) Do something you can make money at

As far as photography is concerned, you may love it and be good at it, but its dificult to make a living out of it. Thus, my suggestion would be to pursue a medical career and retain photography as a hobby.

When you do get the oppurtunity to take photos, you will enjoy it more if it is a hobby. Shooting for money takes fun and inspiration out of the mix.

Shooting for money does not take fun and inspiration out of the mix. Certainly it gets tough. If you love it you will find fun and inspiration in everything you do.

I certanly think this is the wrong place to be asking a question like this. There are many many people out there making tons of money with photography so it is not such a far-fetched thing as some of the people here might lead you to believe. This kind of decision can only be made by figuring out for youself what you want to do. Medicine is a field that takes of course hard work and dedication but the thing about photography is that your career after school is entirely up to you there will never be an ad in the paper that says "Wanted National Geographic Photographer" you need to have the motivation drive and of course talent to self-promote and hustle.

Most reactions

Back