Art or news paper shot

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by Tyson, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Tyson

Tyson TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I did this with a point and shoot, what do you think?
    [​IMG]

2. Puscas

Puscas TPF Noob!

none of the above.

I don't see art and it's not informative enough to be a newspaper photo. Sorry.

pascal

3. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Not sure what you mean by art or newspaper shot. As far as the photo goes I think it may be a miss. I associate firemen with bravery, danger, fire, etc. Confused on why everything is all clean and relaxed.

4. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There are several compositional elements that make it more than just a snapshot for me though. There may be things missing to make it fit squarely in either category, but I'd say to just keep shooting and practice.

5. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

theres not really anything going on to be a newspaper shot it looks loke a snapshot to me.

6. midnitejam

midnitejam TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Some of the elements of any image which are most important to me are.....
    Focus (clear and sharp)
    Exposure (Good detail in highlights and shadows)
    Composition (diagonal lines to suggest activity, horizontal and vertical lines to establish calm/complacency and other emotional illusions)
    ROT's and balance
    DOF (in some instances)
    Subject interrest.

If I were to grade this image based on the above criteria, it would receive an A-.

You've captured the fireman's expression very well. That's definitely a positive.
    The exposure is above average and so is the focus.

The depth of field along with the tele-photo compression allows the trees above each person to be annoyingly obtrusive. IMHO, the image could be improved by cloning out or blurring out the 3 intrusive tree tops.

In regards to photo-journalism, I think it works....In this depiction, the fire fighters are clearly not rushing toward a fire to heroicly save homes and lives. So What? They are still doing what every fire fighter must do eventually--maintain and store their equipment. The image could possibly be considered as PJ because it captures this event and documents the total aspect (however mundain and unexciting) of the other duties of firefighters.

IMHO, it could also be considered as an environmental portrait. If the featured firefighter in this image was your Dad, or Brother, or husband, would you find the picture especially noteworthy?

7. Tyson

Tyson TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As for the gear being too clean, we always keep our gear clean. The fire was a small one put out by the first due engine, the one in the picture. I work a third shift job and am a part time/ volunteer firefighter. I had woke up just in time to hear the last truck respond to the scene. So I picked up my camera (Pentax s40 my E-500 was still on a UPS truck) and drove down to see what was going on and get some photos. No one seems to have noticed the ladder that is under the truck wheel, Just an illusion. It was beside the truck though.