Art or........

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kF0P1VD82E[/ame]

4715798003_eabb91b526.jpg

Love the effect in this one, really brings out that watercolour feel. However something seems off to me about the position of the infocus/sharp part. I don't know what but something just seems a little off - might be the heavy red middle being too dominant - might be a bit too much dead space just under the sharp part whilst the rest is a riot of effects and colour?

I had a hard time editing this one. You are right, I think it would of been a nicer picture if I would of had focused one petal to the right. I actually threw this one out there because I thought people would not like the color choices...lol And that is what you liked. :D

Love the effect in this one, really brings out that watercolour feel. However something seems off to me about the position of the infocus/sharp part. I don't know what but something just seems a little off - might be the heavy red middle being too dominant - might be a bit too much dead space just under the sharp part whilst the rest is a riot of effects and colour?

I had a hard time editing this one. You are right, I think it would of been a nicer picture if I would of had focused one petal to the right. I actually threw this one out there because I thought people would not like the color choices...lol And that is what you liked. :D

The colours work fantastically together - its just that sharpbit that distracts - infact I think you could have not had anything sharp at all and the water colour effect would have worked well alone

ahh... your photos are truly art, soothing, and totally breathtaking!
they make we feel like i've been in a dream land, a bright and new fantasy world. thanks and keep it up. :D

Guys I said 4 pages ago NOT to bring up the 'what is art' argument, so stop now please.

If you want to continue that futile argument then find the other thread where valuable points made weren't answered, and instead it deteriorated to a slagging match.

- nice pics btw :p

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDjt-Rs13Ws[/ame][ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaI_so0ovcc"][/ame][ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaI_so0ovcc"][/ame]

Last edited:

Petraio,
Here are the lyrics to the song. Perhaps a perusal of the lyrics will yield some meaning as to what Bitter Jeweler was trying to impart with his linking to the song. I understand how difficult it can be to fully hear 1980's pop lyrics...I myself was not that familiar with the actual lyrics, even though I have heard the song many times before.

When explanations make no sense
When every answer's wrong
You're fighting with lost confidence
All expectations come

The time has come to make or break
Move on don't hesitate
Breakout

Don't stop to ask
Now you've found a break to make at last
You've got to find a way
Say what you want to say
Breakout

When situations never change
Tomorrow looks unsure
Don't leave your destiny to chance
What are you waiting for
The time has come to make your break
Breakout

Don't stop to ask
You've got to find a way
Say what you want to say
Breakout

Don't stop to ask
You've got to find a way
Say what you want to say
Breakout

Some people stop at nothing
If you're searching for something
Lay down the law
Shout out for more
Breakout and shout day in day out
Breakout

Breakout

Don't stop to ask
You've got to find a way
Say what you want to say
Breakout

Don't stop to ask
You've got to find a way
Say what you want to say
Breakout

Lay down the law
Shout out for more

Breakout

Breakout

Breakout

Lay down the law
Shout out for more

As to the flowers the OP posted: this type of shallow DOF work is a pretty well-known sub-genre of close-up/macro photography. I think your original photos could use some refining. COmpositional principles still apply, even in this world of very shallow DOF. There's a wonderful article about composition that was recently posted on the Luminous Landscape photography, which breaks down photographs into various building blocks--like color blocks, crude shapes, etc.,etc.

This article was written by John Paul Caponigro, one of a handful of my personal favorite acknowledged master photographers with multiple decades of experience. I think looking at this one,specific article would really,really help you in this type of photography, since it is such a "different" type of photography than the more typical deep depth of field type stuff we so normally strive for.

Photographic Composition - Introduction

There now there's another great working one! Really liking this series :)

Also I think I worked out why that earlier one wasn't working as well - its the leading angle of the petals. In most of your shots the petals fade into the blurry watercolour effect; whilst in that one they were more of a dividing line with less of a leading element - which made the back and foregrounds (at least to my eye) clash

Wow. What a thread. I'm not gonna get involved in the discussion, but it takes quite the "set" to come to a photography forum and say photography is not art. I wonder if these are your own thoughts or thoughts from a professor/mentor...sure sounds professor-ish.

Very nice art...ahem...photos, mishele. They got even better as the thread went along. It was a very beautiful break from the discussion. I may have missed it, but what lens are you using?

5D M2
lens 100mm Macro L IS

It's my baby!!;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back