Article on Buying a Compact Camera vs SLR

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Miaow, May 9, 2008.

1. Miaow

Miaow TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thought this was an interesting article for people that aren't sure on what what type of camera (p&s or SLR) to buy.

2. Miaow

Miaow TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ah well ( since no replies currently) hopefully this article will be able to help some people with a decision :)

Though I have to say in my opinon ~ SLR all the way :D

3. Senor Hound

Senor Hound TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    STICKY IT!!! Seriously though, this should be in a link sticky ("Beginners start here before posting" sort of thing)

I got my point-and-shoot because it does a little bit of everything. For 300 bucks I got macro, telephoto zoom, (somewhat) wide angle and a lossless format for whenever I wanted to learn Photoshop (TIFF). I had NO CLUE what sort of photography I would find interesting until I did it. The Lumix FZ20 I have just went along with whatever I felt like shooting... people, flowers, low light, black and white, animals, sports, anything!

I got mine cause for 300 bucks I could get out to the equivalent of 430mm at f2.8 (Leica Elmarit, though not the real deal, is VERY nice). I know depth of field on a compact is different, but this is still really good, IMO. Plus, the macro on my Lumix is nice. I'm not a big macro guy, but I didn't know that when I bought it. I still take photos of flowers cause I find people love flowers (even though they aren't critically acclaimed, you'll never hear people say they don't like a flower photo).

Anyway, the post is good, and I think it needs to be put somewhere for quick reference...

4. Miaow

Miaow TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Senor Hound, I was sorta thinking would be a good sticky also - have seen the question asked a couple times before if I remember right (hence why I posted this article when I saw it)

5. Miaow

Miaow TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    From the article
    Have to say i have both (a p&s and the Canon) the P&S i think is getting a bit lonely - it doesnt get used now - I used to drag around a small tripod 'in case' with the p&s so now i just drag along a bigger tripod and the DSLR ;)

6. passerby

passerby TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    They both have their pros and their cons. Don't forget the little snap shooter is a mini video camera. Also you would not walk around alone in such many countries with an expensive DSLR around your neck. Even my humble d40 alone maybe worth few months wages in some places.

7. TamiyaGuy

TamiyaGuy No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    A very good point, Passerby. And you get treated completely differently if you have a DSLR compared to a point 'n' shoot. If I walk into a park with a P&S taking photos of children, I get treated like normal; just a guy who enjoys taking a pic. But if I walk into a park with my D40 and a 55-200 telephoto, I get treated like a child molester.

The video part is a good point too, although cameras generally suck at making video (in the same way that camcorders suck at taking photos).

8. Miaow

Miaow TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Yep thats true on the video :)

Taminyaguy - I will say if I found someone taking pics of my daughter in playground, espeically with a DSLR or actually any camera without my permission I wouldnt like it....

9. mrodgers

mrodgers No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    On the video aspect.....

It all depends on what you plan to do with the video. The first thing that many folk do when they have a baby is run out and buy a video camera. My wife and I were never into videos with the kids. I did get a hand-me-down camera and used it for my older daughter's birthday. The problem was, I missed most of her birthday party because I was watching it through a little window (the viewfinder). We never watch the video....

My camera does pretty good 640x480 30 FPS video for decent viewing on the computer. I use it (or plan to since I didn't have this camera last year) at the RC airshow that my daughter loves to go to in the summer. It is great if you want video for on the computer. In fact, my $200 camera does twice as good as my brother-in-law's digital video camera that is specifically for video that he paid the same for.

With a normal video camera for viewing on TV, there's more hassle to getting it onto the computer. I just upload from my little SD card and it's there. Well, I guess that's not entirely true. The last time I used a video camera, it was when the Hi-8 tape recorders were the most common and the digital camcorders were just coming out and quite expensive.

10. RubyMagic

RubyMagic TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ACTUALLY, we are kind of close to having compact SLR's.

Sigma just came out with a 14 MP P&S camera with an SLR sensor in it.

It's called the DP-1.

It comes with a non-detatchable prime lens.

Only con is its price...800 bucks.

11. TamiyaGuy

TamiyaGuy No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    *fixed ;)

And I would feel the same if someone took photos of my kids (well, if I have kids), but there's the weird word that all people with bright white, huge lenses are paedophiles (not meaning to diss the Canon guys, but you you get what I mean :D)

12. Miaow

Miaow TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just thought I'd bump this since there's been a few posts along similar lines recently :)