Artifacts in Lightroom

gckless

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently upgraded to the most recent version of Lightroom, and this is the first set of images through my Nikon 200-500mm. I'm noticing artifacts in the shadows. Here's one example, the full photo:

DSC_8384 by Gilbert Kless, on Flickr

And a crop showing it:

DSC_8384-2 by Gilbert Kless, on Flickr

I don't know what's going on. I've tried setting everything back to default on the photo, they still persist. Thought it might be due to the lens profile, but even without it selected it's present. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

What ISO?
If you turn up the exposure in post you will see the artifacts are everywhere in the photo, not just the shadows.
On a side note: Why did you put painters tape on your McLaren?

Last edited:
What ISO?
If you turn up the exposure in post you will see the artifacts are everywhere in the photo, not just the shadows.
On a side note: Why did you put painters tape on your McLaren?

Sorry, this was shot at ISO180, 500mm, f/5.6, 1/1600s.

Not my McLaren, just want to clarify that lol. I don't have that sort of cash! But the painter's tape is pretty common with the guys that do the private track events with their own cars, it's a cheap, quick way to protect the finish of the car. Some nasty stuff gets thrown around the track; dirt, rocks, and liquids, and rubber can ruin the finish in just one weekend.

I did go back and look, and turns out that this wasn't just this set of photos, I saw it in others as well. It seemed to be more pronounced in this set than others, however. May have just been the content though, I'm not sure. In any event, I don't like it! Why is it there? I didn't boost exposure hardly at all, only +.21 in LR. that basically brought it up to the level of the SOOC JPEG, and the JPEG did not have these artifacts present.

Which camera body?

Just noticed that my screen at work is too dark to even see the artifacts. Or maybe my home screen is too bright? I have and ran the Colormunki Smile...hmmmm.

If anyone else doesn't notice it, it's mostly located in the diffuser/shadow area.

Most reactions

Back