Artistic Statements

Bitter Jeweler said:
Make sure you include lotsa artspeak so you sound intellectual and deep.

Well, I found a site that had 1,000 words to describe a photograph.

Bitter Jeweler said:
Some just pretend. :sexywink:

I took a 3 hour in studio photography session and the photographer once said to me, " Fake it till you make it". Hahaha

What I wrote was made up. I searched for a "puke" smiley, but we don't have any.......

I was hoping that wasn't a real artist statement. Nothing is worse than shallow symbolism.

That is one of the things I don't like with Anderson's "Understanding Exposure". The pictures have such cliché artistic comments.

"And I wondered, how would this summerly flower look like for an ant? And so I crawled and took 5 rolls of film."

I have to submit artist statements with my show / gallery applications. Honestly I like taking pictures because I enjoy hiking, the process, and the beauty. But one sentence an artist statement does not make. So I fluffed it out with BS till it was a page long. I think (hope) most artist statements are like that, otherwise there ego's would have their own gravitational fields.

spacefuzz said:
I have to submit artist statements with my show / gallery applications. Honestly I like taking pictures because I enjoy hiking, the process, and the beauty. But one sentence an artist statement does not make. So I fluffed it out with BS till it was a page long. I think (hope) most artist statements are like that, otherwise there ego's would have their own gravitational fields.

I know, I have to write 500 words...it's like I can write but when I am told what write and a deadline I forget everything. What used to come natural....writing...leaves me blocked grrr. I am up to 287...and I have writers block.

Derrel said:
We need c. cloudwalker to come in here and blast the artist statement concept all-to-hell!!! lol

I am only doing it for a school project, a final project accompanied by 9 photographs.

500 words? That's not very much. Just let go of any blocks in your mind, and write some believable stuff. That's what I'd do... Then again, I'm no art student, and just do this for fun.

I've been an artist/goldsmith for 40+ years and have never written an artist statement. I can't remember ever being able to get through reading one either if it's more than two sentences long. I just start reading and my brain goes yeah, yeah, blah, blah, whatever inspires you, who cares, lets see your work. Very cinical I know, but I'm getting old and grumpy.

We need c. cloudwalker to come in here and blast the artist statement concept all-to-hell!!! lol

Thanks D.

I have to admit I have no idea what we are talking about here. The way I understood an artist statement up til now was a statement made by the artist. Not by someone else.

I was asked a few times to provide one to go with a show and it was always the most horrible torture. Frankly, I have nothing to say about my work to people who only want a free glass of white wine.

:)

often an artist statement is used almost like a piece of self expression in itself: a statement on the artist, not the art.

My most recent project's artist statement is simple:

This project seeks to find complex forms and patterns within nature, and investigates formal and tonal contrast in naturally occurring species, while continuing experimental approaches in compositions.

lol. I'm now realizing what a run-on that is!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back