Artsy $50 ... Not Turning Out Well

A

astrostu

Often times, I say or do something that, when thinking about it before-hand, seemed like a good idea. But, when it actually happens, it's not so great.

Such was the result of my experiment last night with trying to get all artsy with a low f-number macro shot of a new $50. I took 19 pictures, kept 7, and this one is the "best" at capturing what I originally wanted to do.

But, I still don't really care for how it turned out. I'm not really sure what - other than adjusting the lighting to get rid of the yellower outer shadow - I could do to make it better and have more "oomf," so any advice on staging the shot, lighting, or editing would be appreciated.

I used a 300 mm lens, 0.5 sec exposure, f/9. And it's free to edit.

50bill_1.jpg

you got that from f/9? thats beautiful. i dont think the yellow is a problem. its actually a really nice shot. the yellow shadow is most likely because you ahve two light sources at the same time. if you really wanted to you could either just retake the shot with just one light source. or dodge/burn either one (make hte outter shadow darker or make the inner shadow lighter). other than that, i dont thnk much work needs to be done. if you want teh "clean" look, you could try to desaturate the yellow of the table so that it looks more white.

I like the shot, but find the raised corner a little distracting. Maybe have the end nearest you taped down with some double-sided tape?

Bev

Thanks for the advice. Yes, the yellow is due to a second light that was yellow as opposed to the direct overhead light that was bright white. Bev, I have to agree with Philip that I think the upturned corner adds rather than takes away from the shot, though I think having the tip in focus along with the 50 would be better.

And being a coin/currency collector, the idea of taping down the corner of this near-pristine $50 bill is horrifying! :thumbdown:

I might try another shot tonight with some of this stuff in mind.

Most reactions

Back