As a beginner...

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by TommyF, Jan 7, 2010.

1. TommyF

TommyF TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I finally saved money for a DSLR and I was thinking to stick with Canon since I already have a Rebel 2000 with a couple lenses that would fit a digital Rebel....so would I be better off with an XSI or a 20D?? What are the differences between the two?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  2. TJ K

TJ K No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Research it. Do a simple search for 20D specs and XSI specs. Compare and pick what you like. Bam there you go.
    TJ

3. iolair

iolair No longer a newbie, moving up!

What kind of photography are you into, and hoping to get into?

I have a 20D, and two things I particularly appreciate about it are the size (I have big hands) and the metal body - it feels like it will last very well and survive a lot of knocks.

4. Timothy

Timothy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  5. TommyF

TommyF TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I want to do lots of pictures of the family, but I also want to do night shots of the land scape as well as nature. Kind of a wide variety of things. Being as I am a newb I really dont know what Im looking for. So maybe an all encompassing camera like an XSi might be the one eh? At the same time I want a camera that I will keep for many years. Man I hate making tough decisions. I dont want to make the wrong one.

6. keith foster

keith foster TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If the 2 choices are 20d or Xsi, I vote 20d, hands down. It looks and feels like the real deal. It does everything you will need or be capable of doing and you can use it for 2 years, take good care of it and get your money back out of it.

You can also start buying L glass so that by the time your are ready for a Mark 1 you will already be shooting all L lenses.

I have had both and they are both good camaras. The Xsi is lighter and plastic. Because of its smaller size, some buttons serve 2 or more functions which I think makes it more complicated.

JMHO