Ashton Kutcher advertising for nikon

It's commercials like these that keep the beginners forum going. Otherwise there probably wouldn't be near the number of questions that get posted there. :lol:

I bought my first ever celebrity product the other day. I swear, I felt so juvenile, it was pure fun.

I recently saw Ewan McGregor's motorcycle trip documentary home-movie thing, and then I was at Schiphol airport and saw the ad, and thought "wow, I wanna have that guy's life."

o.390.jpg

So now every time I put it on my wife remarks that I smell adventurous.

Sharapova is a good tennis player. In ’08, she won the Australian Open and a few other lesser known ones and spent some time as the world’s #1 ranked women’s tennis player.

I’m not even sure Kournikova broke into the top 10.

How about that Burger King?- I wouldn't buy a camera he recommends, but I'm dying to get a bottle of "meat," or "charbroil" cologne. Admittedly I won't have good taste, but I'll smell like I taste good.

I bought my first ever celebrity product the other day. I swear, I felt so juvenile, it was pure fun.

I recently saw Ewan McGregor's motorcycle trip documentary home-movie thing, and then I was at Schiphol airport and saw the ad, and thought "wow, I wanna have that guy's life."

So now every time I put it on my wife remarks that I smell adventurous.

Ohhhhhhh!! I love them documentaries! The Long Way Round (Scotland to New York by motorcycle) and the Long Way Down (Scotland to South Africa by motorcycle). Charlie Boorman (his friend) also has Race To Dakar about, well... his participation in the Dakar race. And he has another that I haven't seen yet called By Any Means. Don't know much about that but will watch it soon as I can.

Sorry for threadjacking but I love them shows and have watched them a few times each already :)

Here is a Nikon ad selling a different flava then square Ashton Kutcher.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIQjhgYEKbg&feature=related]YouTube - Stunning Nikon[/ame]

Love & Bass

No one warned you that after splashing that on, it made you smell like a manwhore, did they? :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Just kidding Iron, you know I love 'ya! :D )
(errrhmm... in a manly kinda remote way... LOL!)

I think Nikon has a good sence of using him. They are going after a specific audience. Young adults that may not have that much experience with SLR cameras. They show how easy it is to use, show how its not some huge hulking camera that you need three hands to hold and operate. It's easy, hey look at this one I got. Thats for a specific inexperienced audience.

They are not going after the old salty dog photographers. Those are the print ads in the photo mags. They know the experienced photogs know equipment. The Kutcher ads are for a target audience. And I think they are fitting.

Kutcher is the Nikon advertisement for their version of the "gate-way drug"... He is hip, cool and "of them"... naturally he communicates in their language - verbal and non-verbal.

Oh, and who are "they"?

"They" are teens and young, college-age students. If Nikon can get them plugged into a nice, easy to use photographic platform for their facebook community, in 10, 20 years they will hopefully still be Nikon-users.

Nikon doesn't need to sell the fact they have PROFESSIONAL cameras - everyone knows that. Besides, those gate-way products like the D40 and others are still very capable tools, BUT a nice upgrade path and market for their used gear (can you say Craigslist?) are available.

My .015 cents.

Scary part is there is another thread around here whining about the Avril Lavigne commercial. I disagree fully when people complain about ads. I think as you get wiser you understand the marketing scheme behind ads.

Love & Bass

And once again, you're the clear head 'round these parts.

I would much rather see an Aston Kutcher commercial than an Avril Lavigne commercial.

I'll never buy a camera because of the way it feels. Performance is the most important thing in my book...

...and celebrity endorsements. If only MR.T would have been in an ad for the 5D MKII then I wouldn't have waited so long to get one.

Today, the big 2 are about equal in performance. They hop scotch each other for lead, but the IQ for a pro body is about the same with minor tweaks. The same can be said about the pro-sumer class, mid and entry level classes. To me, if the camera does not feel right, if the controls are not natural, and the grip feel is not right in my hand, I'm not interested. To me, Nikon has been consistent in it's feel and control location for 5 decades. I can pick up any Nikon SLR, film or digital and it's natural. In my mind, the Canon is from another planet. I am sure many Canon shooters feel the same about Nikon. In todays market competition has given us near equals in each level of the market. I personally think the typical Canon image is a little over saturated in color, but that is personal preference. As is feel and control location. In the end, the camera is just a computer with a lens mount. Get and use what you like for whatever reason. It simply comes down to what makes you happy.

Ok, here is Aston Kutcher resume.

Played an idiot on That 70's Show. He was a funny idiot.

Dated a woman that was twice his age who had her boobs done to land the lead in a lousy movie about a stripper.

Had a show where he pulled stupid pranks on people.

I'd say he is a perfect match for the current vein of Nikon commercials that he is in. :D

I just felt like saying i disagree fully with the use of ashton kutcher as nikon's spokesperson. at least not the dslr's. it seems petty. if it annoys anybody else i want to hear about it just because i want to know if i'm the only one who thinks so.
It's the whole reason I bought a Canon.

eat%20popcorn.gif

Most reactions

New Topics

Back