Ask a model??? Have you ever???

I lie to them, works almost every time.

1) Get business cards printed up saying your a Talent Scout / Photographer for Elite Modeling
2) Walk up to pretty girls and hand them the card. Tell them they have the most unique look you've ever seen and they could make a huge splash on the modeling scene, then tell them you'll make them famous and walk off.
3) Wait for the phone call, which comes 90% of the time if you properly stroked their ego

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

I've often thought of approaching women I've seen, but I've decided against it. I've seen numerous threads on it on Model Mayhem and the consensus seems to be that it rarely results in a photo shoot for most people that try it.

Believe me it works just fine. I have a feeling it may not work very well for some people because they don't do it right. In a way, it works exactly the same as getting a date. If you can get a date, you can get a model.

And I think there are several advantages to using people you find on the street. You can see them move, you can see them sit, you can see how comfortable they are with their body which you can't see in a photo. People who have not thought of modeling do not have a pose catalog in their head.

Cheers.

1) Get business cards printed up saying your a Talent Scout / Photographer for Elite Modeling
2) Walk up to pretty girls and hand them the card. Tell them they have the most unique look you've ever seen and they could make a huge splash on the modeling scene, then tell them you'll make them famous and walk off.
3) Wait for the phone call, which comes 90% of the time if you properly stroked their ego

Reminds of this time I told some super hot girl that my friend talking to his fiancee on the other side of the bar was the front man of a Baltimore hardcore band I we just wrapped up recording their album last weekend.

But that was true and she said I was lying. :er:

I did wanna ask though how does the whole trading pics work?
It's typically called 'Time for...'
It used to be TFP (time for prints)....but now it's more likely Time for CD.

They are giving you their time, and in return, you give them images they can use for their portfolio. You also get the shots for your portfolio (and give up your time) so it can easily be a win-win situation.

There really aren't any hard rules...but you should decide on an agreement beforehand and it would be a good idea to have a model release/contract for them to sign.

You can work in hair/make-up artists as well. They do their thing and you give them shots for their portfolio.

Ohhhh ok that makes sense....Now I would definitely like a contract but I don't know what all I would need to put in there. Do any of you have one that I can go off of and then I can customize it for my needs?

+1 I would like to know how to do the model release / contract thing...

"I'm a photographer, I want to take pictures of you. Call me."

It also works when trying to get dates.

Ya know, I've quite often debated this route. But nowadays, isn't everyone and their mother a "photographer"? I also lack the portraiture skills to back up the pick up method :lol:

"I'm a photographer, I want to take pictures of you. Call me."

It also works when trying to get dates.

You've got it easy (I assume you are female). It can be a lot harder to approach girl/women that you want to shoot, when you are a guy, because you have to worry about appearing creepy. :pimp::crazy:

geeeeee, I wonder why :lmao:

Reminds of this time I told some super hot girl that my friend talking to his fiancee on the other side of the bar was the front man of a Baltimore hardcore band I we just wrapped up recording their album last weekend.

But that was true and she said I was lying. :er:
:smileys:

A business card and a portfolio will increase your odds considerably. The only time that I do not use agency models is for workshops. Just not going to pay the agency rates to teach noobs how to shoot people.

On those occasions, I simply hand the person my card, tell them who I am and what I am doing and ask if they wish to be a part of it. I have never asked anyone to model for free or trade for **, but that probably works.

Personally I believe that if I am the one doing the asking, I pay for the time. I don't accept offers to shoot for free (except certain non-profits) so why should I expect others to work for free.

Personally I believe that if I am the one doing the asking, I pay for the time. I don't accept offers to shoot for free (except certain non-profits) so why should I expect others to work for free.

Because they are not really working for free. They are working for prints. Whether the model is building a portfolio or is just interested in a nice portrait, it is a trade.

When I was trying to switch from photojournalism to editorial/studio work, I worked as an assistant to established photographers in those fields and, with this one guy who is quite well known, we did more than one of those free sessions. All involved were pros but they were as interested as the photographer in exploring new directions and were willing to work for free for that chance. No big deal. Everybody is getting something out of it.

Me, I was getting cash out of it. As I told the photographer, I had no use for prints of his work... :lol:

Because they are not really working for free. They are working for prints. Whether the model is building a portfolio or is just interested in a nice portrait, it is a trade.

When I was trying to switch from photojournalism to editorial/studio work, I worked as an assistant to established photographers in those fields and, with this one guy who is quite well known, we did more than one of those free sessions. All involved were pros but they were as interested as the photographer in exploring new directions and were willing to work for free for that chance. No big deal. Everybody is getting something out of it.

Me, I was getting cash out of it. As I told the photographer, I had no use for prints of his work... :lol:

Yeah, it seems like in a situation like that, everyone benefits

That's great if you both have a portfolio of some sort. If you're just starting out, why not trade, it's a win for both parties.

Whoa hold on a second. I did not say that there was anything wrong with trading time, simply that is not what I do.

I don't ask people to do anything that I am not willing to do myself. I don't say yes when models ask me to shoot for free, and I do not ask them to do the shoot for free.

That is simply a personal choice. I am not knocking anyone or how they get their work.

TFCD works pretty well. They're getting something out of it in the end. The worst that can happen is one person being really off their game (or just shoddy) and the other going "eh, waste of time" and moving on.

Cyg, fair is fair. I for one respect not asking people to do things you aren't willing to do yourself. That's some good morality you have going. Gee, if half the world were only like that... :p

Whoa hold on a second. I did not say that there was anything wrong with trading time, simply that is not what I do.

I don't ask people to do anything that I am not willing to do myself. I don't say yes when models ask me to shoot for free, and I do not ask them to do the shoot for free.

That is simply a personal choice. I am not knocking anyone or how they get their work.

I was not thinking you were saying that either. It just seemed to me you were not understanding why some people do it. That's all. Sorry.

Most reactions

Back