asked to stop taking pics

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by maverickphoto, Aug 26, 2008.

1. maverickphoto

maverickphoto TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I went downtown last night to take some pics of buildings. I was taken a pic of a building and 2 bike sercrity guys come up and told me I couldnt take pics of the building. I asked why and they said due to security reasons. Ok I dont get it? Its just a office building. I told them whats the difference if i took them at night or came down during the day and was walking around with the other hunderds of people and took pics? Or what about the pics of the city skyline that shows the building? They kinda ignored me and told me to just not take any. Theres nothing posted about not to take pics of the building. Can they do this or do I have rights? I think they were board and just wanted to mess with me. I'll post the pics tonight when i get home.

jason

2. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think (but I'm no attorney) that you are perfectly justified taking pix of the building if you are standing in a public spot. If you were actually inside the building or on their property, they would have the right to ask you to stop.

3. Rachelsne

Rachelsne TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i used to work in a bank sand we had to be cautous of people taking pics of it incase they were planning to rob it, how ever I think if you were on public property (and thats hard to find nowadays) you were allowed to be there.

4. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you are on public property they can not tell you to stop. "Security reasons" is a copout. Unless the building is a protected government facility (Pentagon and the like) there is absolutely nothing security risky about it they don't have the right to tell you otherwise. You are well within your rights to potograph any building you want from the sidewalk, Goventment facilities can do just that but I do not know to what extent any more.

Step on to their property thay can ask you to stop and leave but untill then there is nothing they can do.

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There have been several discussions on this topic, try a search.

Generally, the consensus is that it's legal for you to take photos while you are on public property...which would mean that the security guards are in the wrong. However, you have to consider how much trouble it would be, to fight about your rights at that time. It may be best to just pack up and move on. But if you are the type to stand up for your rights, no matter what...then you could ask the guards to site rules or regulations as to why you aren't allowed to take photos...you could even tell them to call the police if they like...because if you are in the right, a police officer should back you up...but there is no guaranty that the cop will be any less ignorant of your rights, than the security guards.

6. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I carry a copy of this wherever I go:

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

I am not a lawyer, but everything I've read says you have full legal rights to take pictures of any building visible from public spaces, period. I happen to do a lot of this, and it does come up quite frequently.

7. Weaving Wax

Weaving Wax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'd just move on. There are other buildings.

8. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What city are you in? There have been alot of similar stories coming out of NYC.

9. maverickphoto

maverickphoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  10. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Obviously a major security risk! :lmao:

11. Bryant

Bryant TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I always carry the rights in my camera bag. It's saved me many times, the security end up walking away shamefully.

12. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    ooo... pretty building. Screw 'em. go back and take more pics! :)