Asking a photographer for their RAW files...

splproductions

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm planning my own destination wedding (Kauai), and I'm looking up photographers in the location I'll be going to. Would it be super offensive/weird/inappropriate to ask the photographer if they would be willing to provide me with the RAW image files from the shoot? I'm going to be hiring the best photographer I can find, and I'm sure their work will be awesome, but I'd love to be able to make any artistic/stylistic changes later on down the road if I wanted to. Maybe 10 years later the style of photography that I'm into is different and I want to do my own Lightroom/PS processing.

Any thoughts on this?

I'm no pro but I highly doubt you'll get the raw files.
Some do find it offensive to ask. Others don't want questionable editing techniques being associated with them plus probably about a dozen other reasons I can't come up with.

I used to be a music producer/engineer and I had a client ask me for the files (individual tracks, etc), and I know I wasn't too keen on giving them the files for the same reason (what if they mix the track and it sucks - I don't want my name associated with it) - so I can see the point there.

Expect to pay extra for them. A LOT extra for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it would be inappropriate and if they'd even consider it would be astronomically cost prohibitive.

Now that said you might politely explain you are an aspiring photographer and inquire, but don't be surprised by a flat and or jovial no.

I'm a professional wedding photographer. I have no problem if the clients want the RAW files as long as they pay accordingly for them. :) So, when you ask, do let them know you're wiling to pay extra for the RAW files. Keep in mind that getting the RAW files and owning the copyright are two different things.

Just make it a condition of getting the job.

Can I ask why providing RAW files would be more expensive? It seems like it would be cheaper since the photographer wouldn't spend any time processing them.

Can I ask why providing RAW files would be more expensive? It seems like it would be cheaper since the photographer wouldn't spend any time processing them.
Exactly and before anyone says 'but they could mess up a raw file and it would be something with my name on it that looks bad', they can do the same with a JPEG file as JPEG files can be edited post-production also to be made to look quite bad.

Just make it a condition of getting the job.
I think that might seriously limit the number of potential photographers you could engage.
Naturally it will, however the ones eliminated will be the ones who would cause problems by arguing about it when the customer asked for the raw files after the shoot.
And really, those are the ones you would want to eliminate.

Any thoughts on this?

The better the photographers the smaller the probabilty to get the RAW.

It is highly unusual. The best you can get is a TIFF ... which you can convert back to RAW with a Software like Capture NX 2 if the photographer shoots Nikon

Any thoughts on this?

The better the photographers the smaller the probabilty to get the RAW.

It is highly unusual. The best you can get is a TIFF ... which you can convert back to RAW with a Software like Capture NX 2 if the photographer shoots Nikon.

The RAW is the life line for any pro to prove that we are the originators of the work. RAW is proof in court!

Last edited:
A file will have the date of the shoot and exit data even a .JPEG is proof in court.
Also in a court of law a document by itself is only hearsay unless it is accompanied by direct testimony by the author of the document in which case it is the testimony that is considered and not the document itself.

Last edited:
I've given out RAW's once, only because thats what the client wanted and they paid. So who cares, less work for me plus more money. No brainer

Most reactions

Back