Asking for advices

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by infever, Dec 3, 2004.

1. infever

infever TPF Noob!

[​IMG]
    Shooting Mode
    Auto
    Tv( Shutter Speed )
    1/250
    Av( Aperture Value )
    Metering Mode
    Evaluative
    Exposure Compensation
    ISO Speed
    Lens
    28.0 - 200.0 mm
    Focal Length
    200.0 mm

[​IMG]
    Shooting Mode
    Auto
    Tv( Shutter Speed )
    1/200
    Av( Aperture Value )
    Metering Mode
    Evaluative
    Exposure Compensation
    ISO Speed
    Lens
    28.0 - 200.0 mm
    Focal Length
    66.0 mm

Both of the pictures were taken at the same condition. It was a clear day. But the first one is way darker than the second one and looks like a overcast day. Can anybody tell me why this happened? I used auto shooting mode and circular polarizer for both of these two pictures. BTW, I tried to use ps to compensate the brightness of the first one but seems it does not work well...

The camera I used is Digital Rebel + Tameron XR 28-200mm. This is the first time I used my new Tameron lens. But the picture looks not that sharp. Is this common for Tameron?

Thanks!

2. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    if you are looking for critique, you may

1) want to post in the critique forum
    2) resize your photos down a bit so they fit on screen

3. infever

infever TPF Noob!

Thanks for your suggestion. I've reduced the size.

As far as I know, critique gallery only allows one picture per post. This is the reason why I post it here.

4. PreludeX

PreludeX TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    actually i think its rebels that have the focusing problems, atleast thats what ive noticed on all the rebels ive shot... they are kinda bitchy. my teacher here at school also said the same thing, so i though he was right, thats why i dont have a rebel anymore

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My guess is that the camera's meter read the first scene as quite bright. It therefore gave you settings to record the photo darker...underexposing it.

If you haven't read up on how a camera's light meter works, I suggest you do so.

Basically, most cameras have built-in light meters that are set to properly expose a medium toned scene. (18% grey). So when you meter a scene that is brighter than 18% grey the meter will think it's too bright and underexpose. Reversely, if it's darker than 18% grey, the meter will tell the camera to overexpose.

As a photographer, we must recognize that the meter is doing this and try to compensate for it. For example, if the scene is quite bright, the camera will try to underexpose so you have to add exposure.

I'm not exactly sure that is what is happened to your shot. But maybe the bright sky and bright white boat right in the centre made the meter think it was brighter than it was...making it underexpose.