Asking for help choosing the right photography equipment

propst1967

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello to all.

My name is Chris and I am seeking advice regarding what type of camera and lens to buy for my wife.

Mother's Day is coming up and my wife has been asking about a new camera. We are sports enthusiasts and have season tickets to the Cincinnati Reds. The camera she currently uses is one of those point and shoot Canon deals. It is adequate to take casual shots, but she has seen several people around us who have cameras that allow extreme close-ups and I believe she has photo envy.

If anyone can point me in the right direction of what type of camera and lens I should be looking at I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you kindly for any help.

Chris

You need to let us know your budget.

Here is the list of 4 entry DSRL cameras that you may want to check:

Nikon D3000
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D3000-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6G/dp/B002JCSV5I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272645789&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Nikon D3000 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens: Electronics[/ame]

Nikon D5000
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D5000-18-55mm-3-5-5-6G-Vari-angle/dp/B00267S7TQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272645881&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Nikon D5000 12.3 MP DX Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Lens and 2.7-inch Vari-angle LCD: Electronics[/ame]

and the equivalent canon cameras:

Canon xsi
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-Camera-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B0012YA85A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272645917&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Canon Digital Rebel XSI 12MP Digital SLR Camera: Electronics[/ame]

Canon t1i
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-T1i-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B001XURPQS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272645949&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Canon EOS Rebel T1i 15.1 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera: Electronics[/ame]

Please don't ask which brand is better;)

Thanks for the responses.

I am looking to spend up to $1000, maybe a tad more if it seems worth it. I think the camera we have was about $250-300.

The ones recommended look like the types that the people around us have, but I believe they also have additional lenses that allow for tighter close-ups.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge and thanks again.

very grateful,
Chris

Welcome to the forum.

Actually, most 'point & shoot' cameras are pretty good for close up photography. They have a macro mode that allows them to get right up close to the subject.
With a bigger, more expensive DSLR type camera, you would need to add a special Macro lens or some other accessory.

For shooting sports, on the other hand, she might want something like a DSLR. The 'shutter lag' is a lot faster than most P&S cameras, so you don't miss as many shots. But getting a lens that is good for sports, can be really expensive.

For a beginner (like me) this combo may be good for your wife. As a matter of fact I bought it for my wife last Christmas and now I am the one using it....

It is the Nikon D5000 with two lenses 18-55 and 55-200. The last lens is the one which allows you for tighter close-ups. It is in the range of $900. Here is an example:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D5000-3-5-5-6G-55-200mm-Vari-angle/dp/B0026FCKA0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272646987&sr=8-3]Amazon.com: Nikon D5000 12.3MP DX Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR and 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Lenses and 2.7 inch Vari-angle LCD: Electronics[/ame]

Getting a 55-200mm (or Canon equivalent) in addition to the kit lens would probably do some good for trying to get shots from your seats at games. Any of the entry level SLRs listed are great options and within your price range. Additionally, they all have tons of information and reviews on them either searching here on this board or a Google search.

By "close up photography" I think you mean magnifying things so they look bigger in the photo.

If so, that means a telephoto lens.

The more magnification a telephoto lens supplies the more they cost.

For baseball Nikon's AF-S 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.6G VR lens ($540, new) and a Nikon D3000 ($540, new including an AF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 VR lens)would work well in the daytime.

Better yet would be to get the Nikon D5000 ($640, new including the AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens)

I sincerely appreciate all of the help. Honestly. I've read some of the reviews and information regarding various cameras and to be honest I am a bit overwhelmed.

The Nikon D5000 might be the way I go. Having read some information prior to my questioning this forum I felt I should get a 200-300mm lens to allow her to get tight shots. The lower the "f" rating seemed to be better, correct? That is to allow clear focus on action shots?

The photo examples given in some of the reviews are helpful, but only to the extent that the define the subject size and the distance from the photographer. We will be about 150 feet to home plate and she is hoping to be able to get shots that are as if she were taking a picture of a family member 8-10 feet in front of her. She isn't looking to focus in on a fly on a helmet at that distance, but would like to see if they are smiling or not.

How good is your wife at taking pictures? I'm asking because the potential problem I see for her is camera shake. What I mean is this, for a lens of 200-300mm, if you are not going to be able to hold the camera steady, the lens will magnify your hand shake and you will end up with a out of focus, blurry picture. The alternative is to get a monopod if the sporting venue let you bring one in. As ar as f/stop number goes, the lower the number the less light you would need in a scene, and it also helps out with blurring out the background (depending on the distance of camera to subject). It does not help out with focusing.

i would get her a d3000/d500 with the 18-55 and 55-200 lens kit.

Just to add, you could also buy image stabilization lens (designated by "VR" on Nikon lens), as it will lessen camera shake impact when you turn it on. As far as the two camera's, I would save money, buy the D3000 so you have money left to buy better lens. Lens lead to better pictures, not necessarily the camera's body.

Luckily for her, her hands are steady. Mine, on the other hand, well, let's just say I would take some interesting pictures. My father-in-law took me fishing when my wife and I first started dating many years ago and he still chuckles thinking about watching me bait the hook as the hands were not steady.

It looks like I'll order either the Nikon D3000 or Nikon D5000. Since the gift will be from the kids I will show them the two cameras and let them decide since it seems they both would work.

In the event we would like to get a more powerful lens, I assume they make them for both?

Sorry for all the questions and my ignorance. It is just a reasonable investment and I am clueless. In terms of dollars spent/knowledge I would say this ratio is as large as any I have or will make.

thanks again one and all!

Regardless of which camera you choose, you must buy the book, "Understanding Exposure".

This will help avoid the "why does the expensive camera not take better pictures than the point and shoot" phenomenom.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back