Assignment #31: Still Life

Nikon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Easy enough...as always only post new shots, and you have until next Monday when a new assignment is posted. This should be an easy one for EVERYONE, so lets see lots of them :)

As a reminder this isn't a contest it's just for fun and to encourage everyone to try shooting different things...the monthly contest is located at the top of the main forum page ;)

But yours was GOOD, Corry, and a great challenge! I like that MUCH!!!! Else I'd never tried out to take any high key portraits of my children!

I thought it was a great idea too Corry :) I woudln't have ever thought of having that as an assignment :hail: :lol:

The definition of still life is :
still life
n. pl. still lifes
  1. Representation of inanimate objects, such as flowers or fruit, in painting or photography.
  2. A painting, picture, or photograph of inanimate objects.
Is there a boundary to this? By this I mean is a car, building or tree "Still Life"? or is it more of a classical assortment of inanimate objects like a bowl of fruit or pencils in a jar?

Personally I would think more in the classical sense. Architecture or car photos are a different category (to my mind). But I am not the one who puts up the Assignment ;) I should be one to take a PHOTO for the assignment at last! ;)

LaFoto, I agree with you, but due to my lack of knowledge of artsy stuff I wanted to try and clarify :)

We're shooting for more classical still life here...very much like what your defintions say...it will probably be something you set up, fruit, veggies, glasses, etc...

I was told to contribute over here and contribute I will. Here are some from this week.

patternc.jpg

CRW_7346.jpg

what-is-it.jpg

Though I cannot compete in now way with the brightness and sharpness of Ben's photos, I set up something for the assignment at last - and I did not want it to be fruit for now.

So this is what I go (all set up on the kitchen table with the regular kitchen light and my electric candles (behind a piece of paper) --- or no light other than... ah. Look for yourselves:

StillLife_01_websize.jpg

StillLife_04_websize.jpg

StillLife_02_websize.jpg

StillLife_03_websize.jpg

StillLife_05_websize.jpg

Ah, and I could not leave this un-photographed, when my daughter mixed us this "Tropical Drink" and presented it to me in this manner :D

StillLife_06_websize.jpg

Most reactions

Back