Assorted shots

mattyP!

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My d90 arrived today so I've been shooting around with it in my spare time and these are just three of the many hundreds of photographs I took :)

3119319004_b4aa1cfa0a_b.jpg

3118880817_a2c178bc4b_b.jpg

3119706632_2af83545d1_b.jpg

I like the composition on most of them but they all feel a bit noisy, especially the sky on the last 2. The first picture I honestly didn't bother metering and just kinda fired away with assorted settings but the bottom two I made sure were metered and were shot at ISOs of 800 and 1600 (both resulting in similar shots). I'm still reading through the manual, online guides, etc but if anyone has any specific comments or critique to give, I'd appreciate it. I just feel like I'm not getting as sharp an image as I could if I were shooting with the correct settings.

A tripod and reducing the ISO would make the last two images a lot sharper.

Try stabilizing, what lens was 1st made with?

A tripod and reducing the ISO would make the last two images a lot sharper.

I thought it might but my tripod was inside and lowering the ISO below 800 meant I had to drop the shutter speed waaaay down. I just couldn't hold the camera steady enough ;(

Thanks for confirming that though, I'll make sure to take my tripod back out there and try again!

Try stabilizing, what lens was 1st made with?

All three were taken with a Tokina 12-24mm.

I hate to bump my own thread but as soon as I made this like 8 other people made similar threads and it buried mine ;(

Shot number one; try turning the camera. The best kept secret of a wide angle is everyone shoots as you did; landscape if you will. Make it portrait.

The other two, way lower on the ISO, get the tripod. Also, turn your flash down on shot three. I always start with one stop lower then center and adjust from there.

I realize that might not be your flash but indeed an other source of light. If you can turn it off and use your flash for fill and leave the shutter open...on your tripod.

If you can use a neutral density filter or make a HDR image. Actually I would put the sign to my left. The light in the foreground is too distracting.

All that said, picture number two shows how water reflections at night can look really cool when a tripod is not used. Almost neon like, but way cooler.

-Nick

Thanks for the detailed response Nick. Shooting vertically in my courtyard might actually work very well seeing as the two stories sort of surround the area. Might be a cool shot :)

Also the light source you see in shot 3 is one of those little lights you see littering the edge of the lake. I would have shot from the right side of the sign but it's skewed left and it ended up looking strange.

I just shot some photos in my room with a super low ISO and they came out a lot sharper than what I've been getting. Moral of this thread seems to be to lower the ISO, balance out the meter with shutter speed and aperture, and use the tripod :)

Thanks so far.

Also the light source you see in shot 3 is one of those little lights you see littering the edge of the lake. I would have shot from the right side of the sign but it's skewed left and it ended up looking strange.

I thought of this, however I just think the sign covers the great light reflections off the lake. Also, I might cover the light and re-shoot with my flash and extend the exposure time to get the ambient light from the houses and reflections.

There is just too much going on the right-hand side. It makes me want to tighten up the shoot and that just wouldn't work. I like to reposition myself in respect to where you are in taking this photograph.

Just some thoughts. I really think you nailed the best points though. I must say, I am impressed these were taken inside. Great job!

-Nick

Most reactions

Back