At a crossroads...

idowhat_i_want

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
...deciding what lenses I should get for my new Rebel XS :oops:

For now, I'd like lenses that take good portraits, animals/nature/landscapes, and macros.

In an effort to seem not completely clueless to photography (he he), I've come down to these:

Macro: EF100mm f/2.8

Portraiture: EF-60mm f/2.8

Nature/landscapes/animals: EF70-300mm f/4-5.6 (but I’d also like to take night shots or evening scenes… I’m not sure if that particular lens would work. Would I have to, additionally, get the EF-S17-85mm f/4-5.6?)

Am I on the right track? Also, where would be the best places to find these lenses? I was thinking eBay… but I’m skeptical.

A lot of people on here say the first lens they buy is the 50mm 1.8. It does a lot for around $100.00

Without a doubt, the Canon 100mm macro is a superb lens both for macro and as a short telephoto. I have even used it with my Sigma teleconverters.

As for animals, that depends on what kind of animals ... wild game? birds in flight? insects? Birds in flight calls for long fast glass. Zoo's aren't as demanding. I used my Sigma 100-300mm f4 alot on a recent trip to alaska -- often with my 1.4X TC. I wished I had something longer for eagles, moose and bear (I didn't bring my 2X with me). It is a great zoo lens.

For landscapes/nature I love my Sigma 10-20mm and my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (which is also my walk-about lens). The Tamron is also a good portrait lens (as is my Canon 50mm f1.8 MK I)

I bought my 100-300mm on ebay for about half price -- same with my teleconverters. The others I bought new from Amazon.

Most reactions

Back