At Dawn

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
760-7446.jpg

Where is this? Absolutely stunning to say the least. Very nice shot.

awesome shot, looks like an area with a lot of potential for different shots

Take out the hill/mountain and it almost looks like a coral reef.

Thanks everyone. I was fortunate to be able to shoot two sunsets and one sunrise at this location a couple days ago. The wildflower display was intense and the air was thick with the perfume of the sand verbena (purple flowers on the left).

The crater is a volcanic cone which may have been active as recently as 600-900 years ago. A fun story is that one of the local high schools (50-60 miles away) in the 1950-60s, started a tire fire in the center of the crater during a party. The fire lasted for days and the black smoke could be seen for miles around. Folks driving by thought the volcano was going to errupt and notified the newpapers in Los Angeles- which started a panic of sorts, at least until geologists flew over to investigate.

Nice colors - and amusing story. :D

Thank you.

Another quick one; I'm not sure of the name, but the inside of the crater is dry as a bone, ... usually. When it rains for enough water to stand, small, primitive-looking fish hatch. These fish look very similar to trilobytes. Anyway, they hatch, eat, grow, mate, lay eggs and die within a very short period of time. The eggs will lie dormant for years and years if they have to, until enough rain brings them around to live through another life cycle.

you certainly caught the light and colours well in this shot, very nicely done, i bet it was real nice there when the light is so warm. :thumbup:

you certainly caught the light and colours well in this shot, very nicely done, i bet it was real nice there when the light is so warm. :thumbup:

Thanks Arch. It's awesome out there and this is just the start of a busy season.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back