At the Library- Window Light with Ambient Tungsten Light

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently I was hired to take portraits of someone reading at the library. These two shots are a couple of my favorites. The main light was a window with soft light coming through (the light here in Portland has been softened quite a bit from all of the forest fire smoke in the air), and the indoor ambient tungsten light provided some supplemental light.

Unfortunately during this shoot my trusty 5D Classic (MKI) had the dreaded "Err 99" happen. The shutter stuck for a few seconds, then fixed itself, and the camera started functioning normally after a restart. I adore this camera and hate to see it age, but I guess I have to accept the inevitable. :(

_mg_0091_by_danostergren-dbmdgiz.jpg

_mg_0119_by_danostergren-dbmj4xi.jpg

Last edited:
I really like #1! The lighting is excellent and the DOF choice works super well with isolating the model but still leaving context of the library. The second shot it also very nice, but to me not quite as nice as the first one, primarily because there is much more dynamic lighting between the bright highlights of the window and the shadows elsewhere. Very well executed, just simply not as appealing based on my personal preference. I do like the way the light in #2 highlights the books on the shelf in front of the model, though. That really added a nice element.

Two couples that we're friends with are currently in Oregon. They've been talking about the amount of smoke in the air. Looks like you've made good use of it. Number 1 is a classy look, very nice. Number 2 not so much a fan.

Two couples that we're friends with are currently in Oregon. They've been talking about the amount of smoke in the air. Looks like you've made good use of it. Number 1 is a classy look, very nice. Number 2 not so much a fan.
The smoke here is getting pretty bad.

Could you elaborate/ give further feedback as to why you don't like the photo?

I really like #1! The lighting is excellent and the DOF choice works super well with isolating the model but still leaving context of the library. The second shot it also very nice, but to me not quite as nice as the first one, primarily because there is much more dynamic lighting between the bright highlights of the window and the shadows elsewhere. Very well executed, just simply not as appealing based on my personal preference. I do like the way the light in #2 highlights the books on the shelf in front of the model, though. That really added a nice element.
Thank you. Yeah, the second shot isn't the best of the bunch but still one of my favorites.

The light from the window is somewhat overwhelming, and the lighting on the subject just doesn't seem to quite fit. Probably personal preference but I tend to associate strong back light with high key on the subject or silhouette, yet the subject doesn't seem to fit either. Don't dislike it, just think the first one is much better.

I do like the first one more that the second, not saying that the second one isn't great because it is! These are different from the normal stuff you post, but they really are nice.
Sorry to hear about your camera, but since it is working again, maybe it was just a fluke and want to it again. I bet that camera has a lot of clicks on it.

The light from the window is somewhat overwhelming, and the lighting on the subject just doesn't seem to quite fit. Probably personal preference but I tend to associate strong back light with high key on the subject or silhouette, yet the subject doesn't seem to fit either. Don't dislike it, just think the first one is much better.
The lighting is actually my favorite part of the photo; I love the way is defines his cheeks, and I like the way the strong backlight contrasts his form. What I personally don't like is the lack of back lighting that would have separated his back and his pants from the dark areas of the background.

I do like the first one more that the second, not saying that the second one isn't great because it is! These are different from the normal stuff you post, but they really are nice.
Sorry to hear about your camera, but since it is working again, maybe it was just a fluke and want to it again. I bet that camera has a lot of clicks on it.
Thank you.

Yeah, I've cycled through 9,999 shots at least 6 times since owning that camera and I bought it used, so I have no idea how many actuations it had before I got it. The 5D MKI isn't a camera that you can track the shutter actuation count on unfortunately, unless you're the original owner and you document each time you cycle through 9,999 shots. I used it today for a family shoot though and had no issues, but I also used a different battery this time.

Yeah, I've cycled through 9,999 shots at least 6 times since owning that camera and I bought it used, so I have no idea how many actuations it had before I got it. The 5D MKI isn't a camera that you can track the shutter actuation count on unfortunately, unless you're the original owner and you document each time you cycle through 9,999 shots. I used it today for a family shoot though and had no issues, but I also used a different battery this time.

Glad you got it sorted.
All I have is my T3i, and I hate to know how many clicks it has. It has to be getting up there since it is an entry level camera. But it still works great, so I will try to just not think about it. :)

I always enjoy seeing your posts. This guy is almost boring compared to your usual subjects, and yet they're still great photos. FWIW, I like the second shot quite a lot. It's quiet and intimate, like library experiences should be.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back