At what age is it appropriate

Aquarium Dreams

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
To begin talking to yourself in public?

I've been talking to myself in private for years now, and it's becoming increasingly difficult to keep my mouth shut when I'm alone in public. I've noticed other ladies doing it, but the youngest among them seem thirty-something. I'm too young to be a crazy street person!

thirty-something is not that old, young lady!

;)

unless your talking in public is rude, any age is appropriate I would guess ;)

but be careful what you say ;)

:blushing: Oh of course. I'm quickly approaching thirty myself. I forget that sometimes. Maybe that's another symptom of my madness?

It's hard enough for me to censor myself when I'm talking to someone else! When I'm talking to myself, anything goes. I'm not worried about hurting my own feelings.:lol:

I talk to myself, but very softly.

When I worked at Walgreen's, one of my co-workers, Marcia, who had been working there for 24 years, talked to herself CONSTANTLY, and not softly. I've had customers walk up to me in the next aisle and ask "Is that lady in aisle 3 ok?". :lol:

You guys might think I'm a talker...but Marcia REALLY is...to the point where if there is no one to talk to, she just talks to herself (but she's a SWEET crazy lady, I swear!)....I'm told her husband is the same way. :lol: I bet that's an interesting household to live in!

*sigh* I miss my old co-workers.

I was walking up to the front of my work place this a.m., in the parking lot, and fiddling around in my coat pocket mumbling to myself about God knows what. At the time I may as well have been sitting in a chair across from myself with a fine cigar and a glass of good wine, as it all made sense, but the point of all this was someone appeared out of nowhere (much to my chagrin) and the forced juxtaposition completely shattered my little fireside chat and made me feel like a loon. Damn other people. ! /rude

Only need to worry about it when an argument with yourself becomes violent. One advantage I found is that when the conversation with myself is sufficiently audible, others tend to give you a bit of space. Very handy in a crowded market.

See a docta

I suppose it really depends on the content and context of the conversations. "Hmm, do you want cheese or ham?" will raise few eyebrows, "No mother! I won't do it!" possibly not so good.

:lol:

LOL! My advice - assuming you're a photographer - is to charge a ridiculous amount of money for your services. Then you're assumed to be an eccentric artist instead of just nuts.:lol:

well, just put one of those bluetooth borg implants into one of your ears permanently, and people will always think you are just on the phone ...

;)

you see them everyday these days and many people don't seem to take them out at all ;)

Maybe I'm thinking about this all the wrong way. Instead of trying to tone it down, I should amp it up and go mingle. It might be a boon to my social life, as everyone clambors around to hear what the crazy lady says next.:lol:

One advantage I found is that when the conversation with myself is sufficiently audible, others tend to give you a bit of space.

...Oh. Yeah, that's more like what happens in reality. :(

Some of the most interesting conversations I've ever had have been with my niece (who is only six months old, but who gives some very vocal feedback) and myself...

I've found that talking to one's own self in public works best if you are either
a. pushing a shopping cart full of your personal belongings.
b. Wearing a large overcoat while you breathe loudly through your mouth. In this situation, it helps to be a few days behind in personal hygiene, and or pushing radical newspapers to frightened onlookers.
c. doing highly inappropriate activities of a certain nature behind some shrubbery.
d. fiddling with your camera and or playing film, film, who's got the film in your camera bag.
e. talking loudly as you drive.

I tend to go with d and e and enjoy both situations although a sounds like a lot of fun.

Most reactions

Back