At what mode do you usualy shooting ?

goodguy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Very eager to know what is the most popular mode people use ?

For me up to a month ago I almost always used Shutter priority, in the last month I moved to manual and now thinking maybe to try Apature priority.
Being a novice I am still in the trial and error mode trying to see what is my best way to shoot.

So what about you ?

Last edited:
There are more than a few threads like this on this forum. They are all lead to the same answer: everyone has their preference and every every mode has its uses (not too sure about the "scene" modes though:wink:). Your best bet is to learn how your camera behaves in each of its modes and then you can make the right decision as to what to use when.

Asking others what mode they use won't help you with this at all. A big waste of time asking.

However if you do have questions geared more towards specific modes or with help as how any of them work then by all means, ask. But don't simply ask me which mode I use, the answer will always be "It depends!"

I've had my first DSLR for just over a month now and have spent the majority of my time is aperture mode. I switch to shutter priority when I want to catch action. Haven't played much with manual mode!

manual spot, for no other reason that that is what i've always done.

Auto only.

"Find Good Images" mode.

Manual, Aperture, or Shutter depending on situation. Neither of my cameras has ever been in Auto. I guess I need to try it. And I've never made a movie. Got work to do.... :)
Best to play with all the modes and learn them.

It's a tool - so I use whichever tool is most appropriate for whatever I'm trying to do. Manual when I want total control. Aperture-priority when light and/or subjects are changing all the time, and the DOF control is more important than the shutter speed. Shutter-priority when light/subjects are changing and I need a specific speed for effect. "P" when getting the shot is more important than getting the perfect shot, and light/subject are continually changing. It also depends on the type of photography you do. Family snapshots (record of time and place and occasion) are usually shot in P or Av mode, with ETTL flash (usually in bounce mode). Work-in-progress shots are almost always shot in Av mode. My "artistic" shots are almost always in M mode because I am controlling much of the light, scene, etc. Sports shots of the family kids are almost always shot in Tv or Shutter-priority mode, as I am trying to avoid subject blur. When I hand the camera over to a non-photographer, the mode dial is on P.

Aperture, or Manual. If I'm just out with the kids & want to be able to get quick snapshots as we go, I put it on Program. If child or husband is taking the camera - Auto. (Shutter doesn't get in there too often.)

Depends on what I am shooting! Studio and Macro is Manual. Events and general purpose is Aperture priority. If I do need extremely precise shutter speed for to stop really fast movement, or for blurring while panning.. Shutter priority. I don't think I have ever used Program or Auto... since the SLR I learned on was Manual only.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back