At what mode do you usualy shooting ?

All of the above!

When I was re-learning photography after a 10+ year hiatus from 35mm, I figured I'd have to 'find out' about each mode...starting with "A". The dictionary starts with "A", too! That worked fairly well, as did "P" for most of what I started out shooting with my 3mp Canon G-3 point-n-shoot (digital version of a Kodak Instamatic...aka, cameras for dummies). Even the scene modes worked well, too. About a year or so later, "let's try Av and Tv", to see what they will do... And for 95% of what I was shooting, those two modes worked satisfactorily on my then-new Canon G-5. Seeing the 'instant results' on the LCD, I ultimately determined I needed full exposure control, especially for low-light situations without a flash (yep, even on the G-5!) At that point, I 're' discovered "M"...that was about 3 years ago.

Since then, I'm on my 3rd DSLR and shooting mostly in "M", 'chimping' the pictures and adjusting to get what I want. But for outdoor daylight shots, such as downtown cityscapes, I'm happy with "A", and let the camera do the work. Although I'll switch over to "M" when I don't get the results I want, then back to "A"... But for indoor work, "M" all the way.

Aperture priority auto quite often, manual when shooting flash or flash + daylight mixed.

Unique thread !

I use Aperture mode mostly.

Sometimes Manual, if it needs to be fully manual, like with bulb function.

Like others here have said, there isn't a "usual" mode. It's really no different then my film days. ALL my film cameras are full manual, but even in a fully manual camera, you still have the know what one setting is important and the others need to fall into place to make the proper exposure.
Landscapes, still lifes and such, AP. Anything concerning speed, SP, obviously.
For my D200, there's one more concern, ISO. My D200 is pretty much the same as my film cameras. I've discovered the grain in film pretty much equates to the noise in the D200. For my taste, 400 is usuable, 800 sucks. Others with newer cameras, this isn't as much of a concern. They can shot ISO's through the roof and come out with "grainless" prints.

I shoot in "Camera ON" mode. I find that when I shoot in "Camera OFF" mode my images are under-exposed.

Shoot auto when I expect the camera can choose what I expect to set.
Shoot manual when I expect the camera do not know what I expect to set.

Aperture priority matrix metering or Manual with spot metering. It all depends on the scene and situation.

I use a secret hardcore mode that is only unlocked after 50k photos.

Most reactions

Back