At what mode do you usualy shooting ?

That's true, but it does increase battery life.

Good point.

You will also notice that consistently identical results are achieved in what ever mode you choose if you leave the lens cap on!:)
My 1st 35mm camera was a Yashica Electro 35 rangefinder and you really could leave the lens cap on and not know it. I can remember getting slides back from Kodak and 1/2 of them being BLACK!!!

Last edited:
I have only used Manual since I moved up to a DSLR. I don't think I even know what the other modes do (Shutter, Aperture, & Program). I have shot RAW since day one, I have never even tried the video mode, or the scenes modes. I don't even know what U1 and U2 actually do. I just got a flash 4 days ago, but I am so scared of it, that it is still in the box (I did open it up long enough to put batteries in it).

I shoot in Manual because I know what is going on in the camera when I do. I shoot in RAW so that I can correct more of my mistakes in post. I have not tried the other modes, as I don't know what the camera is going to do. I am a big scaredy-cat!

I've been shooting aperture priority or shutter priority, however I am very comfortable with manual as well.

Auto scares me.:wink:

Frankly it all depends, if I am in a rush it is auto
If I want a desired effect it is aperture or manual
If I am in a dark environment and try to stop some of the action it is shutter
I also tried the scene modes with portraits

One thing is for sure, I am changing all the time.

What I don't like to use and never do any more is mode P

I have only used Manual since I moved up to a DSLR. I don't think I even know what the other modes do (Shutter, Aperture, & Program). I have shot RAW since day one, I have never even tried the video mode, or the scenes modes. I don't even know what U1 and U2 actually do. I just got a flash 4 days ago, but I am so scared of it, that it is still in the box (I did open it up long enough to put batteries in it).

I shoot in Manual because I know what is going on in the camera when I do. I shoot in RAW so that I can correct more of my mistakes in post. I have not tried the other modes, as I don't know what the camera is going to do. I am a big scaredy-cat!

As far as the Modes you are not missing anything. The flash is no problem so come into the light.
I pretty much shoot in Manual only for the shooting mode, well I do not use any of the Auto settings in the camera. I change every setting as needed for the shot, or for the effect I want from the scene/subject. I shoot Raw+Jpeg so I even mess with the picture controls, to tweak the saturation, the sharpness, and even the brightness and contrast. Once you learn what the settings do you can pretty much get what you want in camera. This means you can get away with no post work, or very minor tweaks.
Just say no to Auto. Friends do not let friends shoot Auto.
p1289074152.jpg

As far as the Modes you are not missing anything. The flash is no problem so come into the light.
I pretty much shoot in Manual only for the shooting mode, well I do not use any of the Auto settings in the camera. I change every setting as needed for the shot, or for the effect I want from the scene/subject. I shoot Raw+Jpeg so I even mess with the picture controls, to tweak the saturation, the sharpness, and even the brightness and contrast. Once you learn what the settings do you can pretty much get what you want in camera. This means you can get away with no post work, or very minor tweaks.
Just say no to Auto. Friends do not let friends shoot Auto.
p1289074152.jpg

I "liked" it... even though it is not PC! (but then, neither am I!) ;)

"Try Really Hard Not To Suck" mode.

Honestly, I'm all over the map. I never shoot in "green box" mode, but I'll shoot in Auto, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority and Manual regularly...

I have a D300s. Does it have modes? if so, How do I change them?

Like others have said, it depends on what I am shooting. If I am shooting faces, I put it in face mode. If I am shooting mountains, I put it in mountain mode, If I am shooting flowers, I put it in flower mode and if I am shooting little guys running, I put it in little guy running mode.

That's all I shoot, faces, mountains, flowers and little guys running.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back