attack mode!

Raymond J Barlow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.raymondbarlow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
couldn't resist to test my D70 at a local arena., please help me with my settings to improve for the next game!

thanks!

hockey1.jpg

Nikon D70
2005/02/07 04:54:04.7
JPEG (8-bit) Fine
Image Size: Large (3008 x 2000)
Lens: 70-300mm F/4-5.6 D
Focal Length: 112mm
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Metering Mode: Spot
1/250 sec - F/5.6
Exposure Comp.: +0.7 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 1600
Optimize Image: Vivid
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: AF-S
Flash Sync Mode: Front Curtain
Auto Flash Mode: Built-in TTL
Auto Flash Comp: +0.3 EV
Color Mode: Mode IIIa (sRGB)
Tone Comp: Auto
Hue Adjustment: 0°
Saturation: Normal
Sharpening: Auto
Image Comment:
Noise Reduction: OFF

When I shoot inside with my D70 and the lighting is not good I start with the night portrait or landscape mode and fine tune the settings from there.

Did you use the flash? I see it says TTL mode.
Did you white balance? You could probably tone it in PS and brighten the whites a little.
Is it pixelly?? Did you shoot through glass?
The D70 rocks. With a little practice you can get better shots than you ever thought possible..enjoy!

Raymond J Barlow said:
couldn't resist to test my D70 at a local arena., please help me with my settings to improve for the next game!

Nikon D70
2005/02/07 04:54:04.7
JPEG (8-bit) Fine - Change to RAW :D
Image Size: Large (3008 x 2000)
Lens: 70-300mm F/4-5.6 D
Focal Length: 112mm
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority Try manual. I think you could have gotten away with 1/200 here, and given yourself a brighter image.
Metering Mode: Spot
1/250 sec - F/5.6 At 112mm, I have a feeling you could have been at f/4, which would give you more light also.
Exposure Comp.: +0.7 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 1600
Optimize Image: Vivid
White Balance: Auto If you shoot in raw, you can correct this very easily
AF Mode: AF-S
Flash Sync Mode: Front Curtain
Auto Flash Mode: Built-in TTL
Auto Flash Comp: +0.3 EV
Color Mode: Mode IIIa (sRGB)
Tone Comp: Auto
Hue Adjustment: 0°
Saturation: Normal
Sharpening: Auto
Image Comment:
Noise Reduction: OFF

If you are using the onboard flash, you might consider getting a hotshoe flash which will provide more power and reach. Alternatively, you might consider a faster lens, perhaps a 200mm 2.8. They aren't cheap, but if you will be doing lots of indoor sports shooting, they are nice. Also, a monopod comes in handy.

Digital Matt said:
Nikon D70
JPEG (8-bit) Fine - Change to RAW :D

If you have a big enough memory card, I would always suggest shoot RAW format. You have more control of the development of the photo later.

Other then that, my suggestion would be to play with every setting you can at every chance you get to really understand what everything does and how it does it. Read the manual also.

Good luck!

I agree with Force of Nature. First thing I noticed where the jagged lines. That's probibly just a compression issue though, maybe caused by resizing for this board or something like that.

Force of Nature said:
...but, it looks kinda jpeggy to me...

This is one of the newest but also nicest adjectives I've heard (or rather read) in a long time ;) . Ha, I like the life of languages and their developments :D .

(Sorry, Raymond, not much in the way of a critique about your photo here - if I ever shot one like this, I'd be proud!)

Is the pixeliztion a result of cropping it to be larger than the original? If so I know it's tempting but don't do it. The image degradation that occurs is noticable.

The originals size is good but how tight of a shot. did you have to crop it alot or a little?

I've shot some college hoops and without the right lenses you have to be really patient and set up in the right spot to catch the action when it is close. Maybe you could rent a lens if it were something you wanted to shoot again.

Did you shoot through thge protective plexiglass?

I just noticed the glowing white stripe on the one players leg. Thats probably messing up the white balance and giving it the slight yellow tint.

chroix said:
The originals size is good but how tight of a shot. did you have to crop it alot or a little?

I've shot some college hoops and without the right lenses you have to be really patient and set up in the right spot to catch the action when it is close. Maybe you could rent a lens if it were something you wanted to shoot again.

Did you shoot through thge protective plexiglass?

I just noticed the glowing white stripe on the one players leg. Thats probably messing up the white balance and giving it the slight yellow tint.

never through the glass, its about 3/4" thick, and would distort like crazy!!

The white stripe is a reflective material, and it definitely may have messed up the white balance. Also, the arena lighting is not conducive to imagining.

I cropped and saved about 75% of the original. I use mgi photosuite to crop, and my guess is there is much better software out there!

Raymond J Barlow said:
never through the glass, its about 3/4" thick, and would distort like crazy!!

The white stripe is a reflective material, and it definitely may have messed up the white balance. Also, the arena lighting is not conducive to imagining.

I cropped and saved about 75% of the original. I use mgi photosuite to crop, and my guess is there is much better software out there!

It looks like whatever method you are using to resize has horrible horrible anti-aliasing. That, or you are saving your JPGs in "low" or "med" settings. In Photoshop i don't save JPGs below "10" which is still "high".

Jon K said:
anti-aliasing

What does this mean??? I've never heard this word before (keep in mind I'm not a native speaker of the English language, let alone all these new photography related terms, so I am genuinely asking).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back