Attempt at capturing a muzzle flash.

Very cool, dude. I wanted to question it myself. With these extra frames you really put things in perspective. I still can't believe you got the shot, even if it took you 150 times. I guess I (and probably others) were expecting more of a "Hollywood" type muzzle flash. Thanks for sharing this.

Personally I being the person who originally questioned this image did not expect more of a "hollywood" shot but being an avid shooter myself I did not expect it to be this clean. I will accept he original shot as authentic and that being the case EXCELLENT WORK MAN!!. As I said this is a one in a million shot to get this perfect moment and I still say with this shot you should go out and play the lottery tonight because this was your lucky day with a whole lot of skill involved.

i think i would be scared of shooting anywhere in the near vicinity of my camera.

I would be QUITE surprised if this shot was real. The red color near the muzzle and the total lack of movement in the slide are very strange. This was a decent attempt at Photoshopping a muzzle flash but it just seems too motionless to me.
The shot is quite real. The slide is in the proper location (just dropping out of lock) for where the bullet is in relation to the muzzle. The gasses are also correct. It's not a PS hack.

Thanks for posting the other photos. Even though they weren't what you were aiming for I think even the "mess ups" or what ever you want to call them are really cool shots as well.

I hope you do not think that I was attacking your photo or its legitimacy I was just curious about some things. I am not familiar with guns or high speed photography so I learned something new today!

Nice job with this, and a little luck too:)

Approximately how many rounds did you expend doing this? It's hard to tell from here, looks like a .45ACP or .40S&W? Casing looks a little too big to be 9mm but this wouldn't be the first time I was wrong:meh:

Nice job with this, and a little luck too:)

Approximately how many rounds did you expend doing this? It's hard to tell from here, looks like a .45ACP or .40S&W? Casing looks a little too big to be 9mm but this wouldn't be the first time I was wrong:meh:

It's 9mm. I fired one hundred fifty rounds.

The handgun in question is an STI LS9.

P1050947b.jpg

P1050951b.jpg

I guess I (and probably others) were expecting more of a "Hollywood" type muzzle flash.

For Hollywood flash, you need a .357:
Blackhawk16gr2400-2.png
Taurus16gr2400-2.png

For reference, these are unaltered framegrabs from video. Even "cheating" like that, it took 10+ shots for the big flash to happen at just the right time to be caught, which makes the OP doing it in a single shot even more impressive.

The Hollywood muzzle flashes are quite easily accomplished.

All you need is a handgun or rifle that uses blanks. The blank firing adapters are ported to give the biggest muzzle flash possible. That simple.

And great timing man, all I can ever get is a puff and muzzle flip...

Most reactions

Back