Attempt To Do Studio Type Shots

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Skedaddle, May 24, 2009.

1. Skedaddle

Skedaddle TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well I decided to try and do a studio type shoot today. I lined up a row of chairs and threw a white sheet from the closet over them. I used natural lighting and came out with these. This is my first attempt to do anything like this and I have no experience with studio settings and lighting. Other than the slight shadows, wrinkles in the sheet and blocks in front of the boy, how do they look?

(1)
    EXIF
    Shutter Speed - 1/160 sec
    F-Stop - f/3.2
    Focal Length - 12.6 mm
    ISO - 400

[​IMG]

(2)
    EXIF
    Shutter Speed - 1/160 sec
    F-Stop - f/3.2
    Focal Length - 19.7 mm
    ISO - 400

[​IMG]

(3)
    EXIF
    Shutter Speed - 1/200 sec
    F-Stop - f/3.2
    Focal Length - 9.1 mm
    ISO - 400

[​IMG]

(4)
    EXIF
    Shutter Speed - 1/200 sec
    F-Stop - f/3.2
    Focal Length - 9.1 mm
    ISO - 400

[​IMG]

2. TiCoyote

TiCoyote TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The children are lovely, and the focus is crisp, but they do not look professional. The white sheet is too white. Did you use a flash? If so, it is too direct. Also, the girl should be smiling, and that crease under her arm is distracting. Try to smooth the flyaway on her hair.

3. tsaraleksi

tsaraleksi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You really need to iron your background, get the kids further away from it, or wrinkle it more uniformly. The lighting looks alright but it is fairly uninteresting. To get more control over where light is falling without spending on off camera lighting, pick up a couple of sheets of foamcore board from wal-mart or wherever (you can sometimes find it on sale at craft stores for less than $2) and use them as big reflectors to push the light where you want it to go, and keeps you from being so much at its mercy.

4. Skedaddle

Skedaddle TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the comments. I have no idea how to do any sort of studio set up and I had nothing to make a set up. So I just used some items around the house to do this. I did not use any flash. I set this up infront of the back door and used natural light. I'm not particularly interested in doing an actual studio set up but I thought I would mess around with it this morning.