Attempted softbox lighting

deb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I finally attempted a picture of my grandson with the softboxes. I'm not really sure how they should be positioned, but it seems that I have to put them really close in.

This one has had the color adjusted some, but I think I should have left it alone as his skin is really not this warm as you will see in the next picture. (He also has grape juice dripping down his chin, classy little fellow!)

Nicholas1.jpg

This is another try.

Nicholas3.jpg

What is the best location for the softboxes? I have one on each side, with the one on camera left stopped down 2 stops.

There is no "best" location for soft boxes. There are locations & techniques to get certain effects but who's to say what is right & wrong?

I think the photos look great.

You might want to pick up a book (or two) on portrait photography & lighting. Once you know what you want your result to be...you can choose the path to get there.

Umm..I agree with the user above. Except, for me, the second one is 'hot' on the right side from the light being too bright/too muhc power or close. The first one is darker ont he one side.

One problem is if the model moves, then where you put your lights might be ruined.

I don't have any specific ecomendations, but search for books on Amazon and maybe there will be something there to help you out and teach you verious techniques :)

I usually have a background light one one side (pointing to the background), a hair light on the other side (over top the subject), and two lights in front of the subject (one is the main one is the fill in light. im pretty sure the main light is brighter than the fill in). youd have to play with them of course. Chose a subject that doesnt move :) and put tape on the floor where you like to position everything that works for you. Same with marking the lights (the stands, power, etc)

I've never used light boxes because I've never tried portraits- studio photography. But I think that those shots are pretty nice. Especially the second one :) cute boy :)

OK this is only on the softboxes. You do want them close. The reason why is because you want the area of your light source to be as big as possible. If you have a huge softbox, but place it really far from your subject, you might as well just use a direct flash, but right next to the subject.

But the rule is
place your light source as close to the subject as possible
(if you don't want shadows)

Thanks everybody.

Photong, I too thought the second one was blown out on the right side but I liked his expression. The first one seems to have a little too much shadow camera left.

I had the boxes positioned so close that I was more or less just able to shoot between them.

I'm going to have to keep experimenting with them, and when I get the softboxes down to a science (or at least a SWAG), I'll add a background or a hair light.

Wish me luck.

Most reactions

Back