attempting something different

greenspleen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
eggssmall4zq.jpg

i'm doing this as a final project for my photography class... it's basically my face photoshopped into various foods, and the faces are looking at eachother sometimes, and interacting. anyway it's kind of weird, but i wanted to do something humorous for a change and kinda focus on my photoshop skills, which are admittedly lacking. but i'd like to improve them so i want to do as much as i can in the program to hone my skills.

anyway i'd appreciate any advice you have on it. whether it be technical stuff, which i'm sure there's a lot that needs work, or basically the idea or execution. i really want my final project to kick butt and sometimes i get the feeling my friends tell me things are cool but they're just doing it so they don't discourage me... if that makes any sense. i ask for an honest opinion but i don't think i get one all the time.

thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give me, it's greatly apprecaited.

oh, i guess i should give you some info about the images too.

the tablecloth, faces and eggs in the bowl are all raw images taken with a fuji finepix E550. then i did the adjustments in the camera raw plugin thingy in photoshop CS, brought them into photoshop as seperate layers and did some final adjustments and burned the shadow onto the tablecloth (because the original bowl was on a wood table).

i'm gonna be printing on kodak and epson premium glossy paper and using an epson SP2200 for printing. i think i'm gonna do all of the pictures in 13 by 9 format and then bind them like a diner menu, and title the project "eat me".

i really like the IDEA of my project, i just think the execution could be better but i don't really know exactly WHAT i need to improve to make it work well, which is why i'm here.

and once again, any help or opinions any of you can give me are GREATLY appreciated.

thanks again :)

wow, thanks guys. maybe i'll upload a few more photos from my project within the next few days to see if y'all think the rest of the series is okay too. :)

I think you executed your idea fairly well. I like the idea of menu presentation too. The white Fiestaware is a good choice, showing how you preserved deatail in the highlight areas.

Clean up the jaggies on the shadow side parimeter of the bowl.

And... I dunno about the project title. It's so 70's. I bet you can brainstorm something that works better. You cetainly have an imagination!

Nice work. Good luck!

-Pete

interesting idea.
Have you tried other angles not 90deg from the dish?
And I personally dont like the green part of the tablecloth

I like your idea and you seem to be executing it pretty well. One thing that I think I see...is that it looks like the plate is at a different perspective than the table cloth. It's as if the plate shot was taken just about vertically and the table cloth shot was from a slightly lower perspective.

Big Mike said:
I like your idea and you seem to be executing it pretty well. One thing that I think I see...is that it looks like the plate is at a different perspective than the table cloth. It's as if the plate shot was taken just about vertically and the table cloth shot was from a slightly lower perspective.

This is a hilarious photo, great job. I agree with Big Mike about the perspective, and Jadin about the crop (a little tighter to the bowl).

I would brighten up the egg whites or darken the yolks to match each other as the yellow is brighter which gives you the bright yellow outlines on a couple of edges. Why didn't you shoot the bowl on the tablecloth? tighten it up a little and you should get a pretty good grade..is it a photo class or a photoshop class though,as some photo teachers will not be down with photoshopping images together and would rather see you do it all on film...

the class is called "fine arts digital editing" so it's basically dealing with raw images and editing them using the raw converter and photoshop CS. we're also doing print profiles with colorimeters and other really expensive pieces of equipment that i don't like touching because they're worth more than my car.

anyway yeah, unfortunately since i'm doing a series of 20 i had to buy a ton of tablecloths and then return them all to bed bath and beyond the next day, so i have 2 or 3 shots of each tablecloth but my options with regard to their perspectives are limited. i've got some where i'm pointed towards the table at a 45 degree angle, and the rest are head on and vertical, although my attempts at being 90 degrees over the table were off sometimes (as stated in posts above)

i'll try to get a different tablecloth to match the perspective of the bowl, and i'll post the picture once i'm done editing it. i'll also try to tighten the crop around the white bowl and whiten the whites of the eggs a touch more as well.

i can't tell you guys how much i appreciate your advice. thanks so much. :)

I like the concept, The only thing I would do is adjust your face images with the blend mode (multiply, overly, etc.) verse transparency which it seems. I think it would give the face images more the illusion of being a piece of the egg yoke.

You could also work with the displace filter on the yokes to allow your face to mold and shift with the yokes.

Good concept, I haven't seen it done with eggs before.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back