attn: night photographers!

First off, to clarify, as I just did in another thread ... the moon gets closest to us once every lunar month. The difference about January 10 is that that closest approach (perigee) occurs very close to a full moon (16.5 hrs before full), much like the event last month (Dec. 2008) when it actually happened about 5.5 hrs after the full moon. Because the lunar orbit precesses, the location of perigee and apogee relative to the phase is not consistent, hence why this month it's closest approach is not during the full moon, just close to it.

here is a question for you ...............

light from the sun is reflected of the moons surface, so..... theoreticly, readings should be taken just like shooting in the day time, right?

i've been trying to shoot that monster for 4 years now, and i still can't get that photo. it's either blown out, lacking detail, halo'd ..... or whatever fault could possibly ruin a photo. i've tried every fstop possible, Av, A-DEP, Tv, P...... heck, i've even tried auto mode with a ND filter. i guess it's my, unicorn. maybe this year will be the one. doubt it, but i'm still going to try.

somebody give me a hint. don't give the answer, i still want to work for it .... lol.

Does the moon and Earth get the same light? Yes. So, Sunny 16 rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia use the sunny 16 rule, it will be a revelation.

Yes, the moon and Earth get effectively the same amount of light, no the sunny 16 rule does not apply. The moon has an albedo (reflectivity) of around 8-10% whereas Earth is closer to 25-30% on average. If Earth appeared the same size from the moon as the moon does from Earth, you could cut the exposure in half.

See my lunar photography guide to figure out how to photograph the moon. The few people who have given feedback have said it's helped, and it's been downloaded over 100 times.

Last edited:
thank you.

that's what i'm talking about!!! teach a man to fish!!!!

I was out walking in the cold at -19 celsius and i definetly noticed the moon, i never thought to take my camera out though! :x

I hope my noobness didnt ruin my shot, I just went out with my trusty Nikon FM10 (With my "im not doing anyhting col id want to make a bigger picture of everyday a.p. film" aka fujicolor superia x-tra 400asa film.)

Went ou just now and did a 30 second exposure with f/22. Was very cloudy and windy, but I could see the setail in the moon during the whole exposure. (holy macaroni thank god the snow wasnt blowing towards my camera. I shut off every light and even called my neighbor andsked them to rurn off there lights and tv for a minute while i got the shot. (i ted to overdue things :)) I didnt want a single snow flake ruining myvery first detailed picture of the moon.

I hope my noobness didnt ruin my shot, I just went out with my trusty Nikon FM10 (With my "im not doing anyhting col id want to make a bigger picture of everyday a.p. film" aka fujicolor superia x-tra 400asa film.)

Went ou just now and did a 30 second exposure with f/22.

Why did you use such a small aperture? An aperture that small and an exposure that long is kinda the opposite of what you should be doing unless you're restricted by your lens.

This is my first post and i hope i am doing this right. I wanted to tell/show you that astrostu's Lunar (Moon) Photography Guide helped so much i wanted to share and say thank you! i have been trying for i dont even know how long to get a decent shot of the moon. i have a ways to go but i think there is a big improvement considering the first ones were just taken last night!

Picture i took last night:
P1084492-1.jpg

Another i took last night trying to get a close up:
a.jpg

I took this tonight after reading the guide:
P1104567-1.jpg

I looked for the moon last night and couldnt' see it the night before it was out and the one before that.
I have book marked the tutorial because I did give it a shot the night before last and got a big bright shiny blob..

This is my first post and i hope i am doing this right. I wanted to tell/show you that astrostu's Lunar (Moon) Photography Guide helped so much i wanted to share and say thank you! i have been trying for i dont even know how long to get a decent shot of the moon. i have a ways to go but i think there is a big improvement considering the first ones were just taken last night!

That's a great improvement! I'm glad the guide helped. :)

It's been frustrating the last couple of days here. When the moon was rising, it was wonderfully clear. But I was too busy to get outside and when I could, clouds had moved in.

Finally got the chance to go for my first real moon shots. Let me know what you think.

3190125924_9e0da17c9f_o.jpg

Most reactions

Back