Attn wildlife photographers: to feed or not to feed?

Similarity here, people move out along the edge of civilization, into the shrub and chaparral areas, which in summer is as flammable as a box of matches. Then when a fire pops up, (it is not 'if' but 'when), they expect that the fire departments paid for by city-folk taxes, come to their aid. There is a bit of a tax revolt out here resulting in some privately owned fire organization being funded via homeowner associations

Must be a different world there, here the city-folks don't give a rip for the country folks, and wouldn't come to our aid if we asked. The FD district I live in is a valley 26 miles long by 5-6 miles wide, mostly woods. Not to say it's a poor area, lot of 5-7,000 sq ft homes in the trees protected by an all volunteer "unpaid" department that operates on an annual budget of less than $50k, and few grants here and there for equipment.

I do believe it is unethical to bait a wild animal for the sake of the shot. I say this because part of wildlife photography has do do with having the knowledge, experience, and patience to be able to capture an authentic shot of the animal in it's natural habitat. Baiting is tantamount to staging a shot for convenience and thus, can diminish the photographers reputation as a wildlife photographer. Moreover, over time, it may compromise the animal's skill and natural instincts to be able function well on its own as it was intended to do , thus posing a potential for harm to come to the animal, or people in its vicinity. I feel that is the ethical problem faced in the OP's question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, the article is specifically about photographers bringing mice, for example, to lure a bird of prey so they can get the shot.
Kind of like giving little kids cake and ice cream so you can photo the messy faces, isn't it? Though, most of the raptors that I know are better behaved than the little kids that I know.

No, the article is specifically about photographers bringing mice, for example, to lure a bird of prey so they can get the shot.
Kind of like giving little kids cake and ice cream so you can photo the messy faces, isn't it? Though, most of the raptors that I know are better behaved than the little kids that I know.
You have discovered the secret to why Tigers sometimes eat their young.

and Gerbils

I can completely understand the position that baiting is unethical for their publication...

just like war journalists shouldn't go out tossing grenades to get a few good action shots...
crap! i've been doing it all wrong then...

Ok gerbils is ok with me,I had them as pets and they bit the crap out of me,If I was into birds when I had them I would have tossed them up to the hawks that visit my yard from time to time.

and Gerbils
Tigers don't bother eating Gerbils. Well not unless they are at the Fair and they happen come across a Deep Fried Gerbil on a Stick stand.

Sometimes baiting is not only a good thing, it is the right thing to do. We just got done baiting my neighbors back yard. Yesterday one of the neighbors spotted a skunk wandering around in the neighbors back yard at 10:30 in the morning. Skunks that are about at that time of day have usually either been chased from their den or more likely are diseased. (rabies)

Animal Control brought us the trap and we set it in a good spot in the neighbors back yard. As for photos, well that will depend on which direction the wind is blowing when we catch the thing.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I think dependency has to come into play here. I think baiting once or twice in an area is probably ok to get a few shots, especially if it's local (stuff that grows or is found in that area), but you can not do it anywhere near as much as to let the animal get dependent on that food. This isn't the stance any public company or club or whatever can take though, since this is completely up to the intelligence of the shooter. A lot of us would have the tendency to say "just one more time will be fine", and it's probably not. All that said, I don't do it, nor will I. As with hunting, I kinda look down on those that do. Like, you're this much smarter and you can't figure out how to get to this animal without using what it needs to live to do it?

I baited a young elephant with bananas once.he came very close to the vehicle and was calm and curious.but later i felt guilty as i know there are many poachers around and i wouldnt want an elephant aproaching a poachers vehicle believing he will get bananas
plus its risky too curiosity can quickly turn into agression especially if behaviour is incorectly interpreted.so i will surely not do it again.as for birds im two ways about it.i think if it does not alter their behaviour its alright.on the other side i think a wildlife shot taken of a wild bird shout exhibit it doing wild behaviour and not eating bird seed that was spread out for a photo.

Most reactions

Back