Attraction

chuasam

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Sometimes as photographers, we mistake our attraction for the subject at hand for what is objectively a good image.

We all have images that we think are the bees knees and totally amazing but what it really is is how we feel about the person or object photographed.

Sometimes as photographers, we mistake our attraction for the subject at hand for what is objectively a good image.

We all have images that we think are the bees knees and totally amazing but what it really is is how we feel about the person or object photographed.

Yes, you've made a good observation there!!! I've seen that working as a retail portait shooter years ago...people judge images of their loved ones in large part based on expression, and strong feelings of personal attraction. Technical and aesthetic considerations are distant third- and fourth-level criteria.

I see the SAME thing here, and elsewhere, when photos of very beautiful or handsome people come up for discussion, or in images of reallllly cute babies or children or animals; a lot of people have a great deal of difficulty separating subject matter from technique and artistic expression or aesthetic appeal; if a woman in a photo is realllly pretty, on this forum (and many others I must say!) a technically weak, or aesthetically substandard image can get a generally favorable review from many posters. I honestly think that is to an extent, the way human nature works: beauty trumps technicals and technique.

I thought that's why people want to photograph beautiful people. It makes the photographer's job easier since any technical errors will be overshadowed by the subject.

One way that a truly successful photographer makes their reputation is by being able to determine what "THAT PICTURE" is for their client and taking it for them.
Many unsuccessful photographers take the picture that is "the picture" for them instead of the client.

I was poking through the local Craigslist. I'd say you're absolutely right. Absolutely right.

What you're talking about is an innate inherent part of being human. You see that pretty person, your brain releases feel-good molecules like seratonin and dopamine, and you perceive whatever else that follows in a slightly nicer light than you otherwise would have. It's something that has been developed over millions of years of evolution and certainly won't change any time soon.

It makes the photographer's job easier since any technical errors will be overshadowed by the subject.
4n.jpg

Acid test: turn the photo upside down. It's amazing what comes out of hiding when you do this.

Point exactly! After all these technical critiques, it is the subject that matters.
I'll take one dark badly composed photo of Jesus Christ over a perfectly shot image of an actor.

Point exactly! After all these technical critiques, it is the subject that matters.
I'll take one dark badly composed photo of Jesus Christ over a perfectly shot image of an actor.

You're a weird dude. :numbness:
You'd prefer an actor or artist's impression over what could be the most influential human to allegedly walk the planet?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back