Aurora Borealis on a windy night

jsecordphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
chocorua.jpg

Couldn't sleep on Tuesday night and happened to roll over to check my phone, saw that the Kp was already at 5 and predicted to climb, I think I was out the door in less than 5 minutes! This was easily the most vibrant and intense solar storm I've had the chance to photograph. I started at ISO3200 at 2.8 for 20 seconds, but the aurora was so bright it was clipping my highlights, so I backed off to ISO2500 for 15 seconds. The winds were so strong at times I was worried my tripod would blow over, so that pretty much ruled out any timelapse or long foreground exposures, but holy hell! What a show.

Beautiful colors !!!!!

Amazing. What do you use to get times for stuff like this? Is there an app?

Amazing. What do you use to get times for stuff like this? Is there an app?

There are apps you can pay for that will alert you, I follow soft serve news on FB and also check spaceweather.com and another site called Aurora forecast, forget the exact link but you can google it and it'll come up. I also started to learn what all the data means (somewhat) because it really helps in predicting and understanding what's going on

Do you know of any that track the milky way?

I think the water takes away from the image. It dilutes the intensity. But I do like the sky and the mountains.

I think the water takes away from the image. It dilutes the intensity. But I do like the sky and the mountains.

Thank you for your input.

i actually like the water in the foreground. The horizon is about dead on the line where it should be, give a contrast against the sky with the moutains making a dark line separating the two. Kind of wish the water might have more reflection and be less milky. Think that is part of the water observation is it has that milky bland look. But if you cropped or shot this without it, i think it might look a little funky. The mountains are to dark for detail. Try a crop and see. Maybe a little LESS water??...

and.

HOLY HELL!!!

lol

Last edited:
i actually like the water in the foreground. The horizon is about dead on the line where it should be, give a contrast against the sky with the moutains making a dark line separating the two. Kind of wish the water might have more reflection and be less milky. Think that is part of the water observation is it has that milky bland look. But if you cropped or shot this without it, i think it might look a little funky. The mountains are to dark for detail. Try a crop and see. Maybe a little LESS water??...

and.

HOLY HELL!!!

lol

I hear ya on everything you brought up. I would've killed for some nice reflections but it was so windy the water was moving really fast. Because of the wind I couldn't really do any long foreground exposures either which might've added some separation between the sky/mountains. I'm super psyched on the photo, but not so much that I'll be selling any prints of it.

and.

HOLY HELL!!!

lol

I hear ya on everything you brought up. I would've killed for some nice reflections but it was so windy the water was moving really fast. Because of the wind I couldn't really do any long foreground exposures either which might've added some separation between the sky/mountains. I'm super psyched on the photo, but not so much that I'll be selling any prints of it.
Not ALL about selling prints is it ? Holy hell (lol) still a nice shot and sounds like you had fun and a nice experience. Kinda wish i had seen it myself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back