Aurora Borealis

Canon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What a sweet show tonight!!! These were taken between 11:00pm and 1:00am tonight. (kinda crummy .jpg compression because they were huge files! :( ) Taken with my 10D, Tripod, Full Manual, Release cable, 50mm f/1.8.

nl5969.jpg

nl6000.jpg

nl6020.jpg

28-80mm USM + cheapo wide angle converter
nl6034.jpg

wow wow wow

we dont get anything so outerworldly down here...

unless you count the fall out we get from vonnagy's flashes going off across the water.

Thanks everyone! Normally the "lights" are not even close to this spectacular IMO here. Last night seemed to be an exception. It was the best show I have seen in many years.

I thought this was caused by Vonnagy's flash? Just figured he was using green gels or something? :lol:

Those pics are to die for!

#1 is my fav because of the color contrast between the orange water tower and the green black sky, but they are magnificent.

Also the one where the dirt and the leaves on the ground is really good.

Up here in the arctics we get quite a lot of northen light. It's breathtaking and I'm still so new here it really moves me when I see it. :alien:

Yes when I saw the map of activity last night it looked like you had one heck of a show up there!!! You were right in a VERY active area as was most of Canada. I can only imagine how good this must be further north than where I am. We are only blessed with this type of show once every few years or so.

For Santino or those who arent aware of this phenom. I found this . . .
Auroral displays occur when charged particles from the sun interact with gases in the earth’s atmosphere. Auroras are seen only in the high latitudes of both hemispheres because the earth’s magnetic field draws solar particles into the polar regions.

More in depth here . . . http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761563540/Planetary_Science.html#461563311

they are supposed to continue until tuesday... so tonight i'm going to try and see if I can get some pics as nice as these! :)

I was driving down from northern Mn to home in Winona, MN last night was able to watch them the whole way down through my sunroof and mirrors. Those pics captured what i saw perfect. Good job

:shock: great sky! and great pics!

what is this strange orange building/ tower? - looks amazing with a green sky!

That is a municipal water tower. It has a red flashing light on top so aircraft can see it at night, unfortunately the red light really oversaturated and blew out the top of it. The rest of the orangish color is ambient light from High Pressure Sodium streetlights in the distance.

And the last picture shows my current residence (well until next week anyway) It' the one with the lights on closest to the camera :wink:

uberben said:
I was driving down from northern Mn to home in Winona, MN last night was able to watch them the whole way down through my sunroof and mirrors. Those pics captured what i saw perfect. Good job

Hey!!! I'm from Winonah...er, well, Wenona! (IL)

Those shots are awesome! The northern lights are something I've always wanted to see. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back