Auto Balancing RAW photos

raw doesn't even record "white balance"...

Yes, moving around the room changes the relative direction of the light.

But how does that change exposure and white balance?
I didn't say anything about white balance, because as mentioned - Raw files don't have white balance.
There is more/less light closer/farther relative to where the light source (windows?) is. So exposure needs to change to 'balance' all the exposures.
The color temperature of the color of the walls changes as the light and it's direction changes.

And again I ask:

How does MOVING WITHIN THE ROOM change exposure?

^ it just does. This is not an argument that needs to be made. If you're prefer to believe otherwise, knock yourself out.

^ it just does. This is not an argument that needs to be made. If you're prefer to believe otherwise, knock yourself out.

That's a total cop-out answer.

Yes, I can see how aiming the camera in one direction, down a dark hallway, can have a different exposure than if you turned 90° and aimed toward a sunlit window will fool the camera's meter. It's because the camera and it's meter don't know what they're being aimed at..... all the know is there's more photons coming through the lens.

But that does not change the exposure of any one individual item sitting inside a room. A chair, for instance. If I stand on one side of it, there's only so many photons entering the camera coming from the left arm. If I walk over to the other side of the chair, the same number of photons are going to be headed in that direction (Specular surfaces notwithstanding).

And the same can be said of anything else inside the room.

Or is this too complex to understand?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back