Auto Exposure Braceting/HDR?

feRRari4756

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys I have been trying to do a few HDR's but they never come out right.

On my 30d, it has AEB. I cant set it to expose at -2, -1, +1, +2
(so like if i set it to the "two twos (neg and postive)", it would shoot one standard exposure frame, one exposed 2 stops under the standard, and one exposed 2 stops over the standard.

like how do i knokw what i should set it at? because everytime i do it mine colors are washed out...

maybe try it at -1, 0, +1. Maybe you're jumping too far. Otherwise, do it twice, once at -2, 0, +2 and then another at -1, 0, +1 and use them both, except just the standard exposure once. From what I've heard, it doesn't hurt to have more exposures in it.

Do what, the HDR conversion, or the individual exposures?

Which software are you using to do the HDR editing? Are you using Photomatix?

they are washed out in the final result, after the hdr combination.

yeah like is it better if i do more than 3 exposures? like how many exposures do the realaly good hdrs need?

Are you following a Photoshop HDR tutorial to edit the image?

they are washed out in the final result, after the hdr combination.

yeah like is it better if i do more than 3 exposures? like how many exposures do the realaly good hdrs need?

I have 9 Exposure HDR's that look fine. Are you proceeding to the "tone mapping" phase? A true HDR isn't really displayable. You need to do some post process editing to the HDR to make it come out looking like hot **** (instead of just ****).

ohhh thanks guys i wasnt doing the tone mappig process like ANDS said. i just tried to do an hdr now of my street. now, with the tone mapping

here is the original (standard exposure)
3177698109_1608053351.jpg

here is the hdr (standard exposure shown above, with one under exposed and one over exposed)
3178533456_a7f05ff516.jpg

I think it turned out pretty well. please tell me your honest opinions. thanks!

I am mo expert, but you may have better luck with better lighting... But it does look like you are moving in the right direction.... I think that scene is limiting the effect.

yeah i know that was just like practice haha. an HDR is more ideal for scenes where you need exposures more on the extreme ends with contrasting parts in the photo (therefore requiring different exposures). but the "HDR" i did just now i like a lot better because it got rid of the yellow tint.

ya on my xsi i set it to take two sets of pictures. first set at -1,0,+1, second set at -2,0,+2..then i just delete one of the "0" exposures...which gives me 5 shots to work with. mine were coming out blurry at times too, until i found the "eliminate ghosting" box, and checked it off.

Most reactions

Back