Auto ISO in manual = Shutter and Aperture priority.

a) the thread is about using auto ISO in manual, not Av
b) I don't see that it's possible to just set the max ISO on any Nikon. There is also an shutter speed.

Are you saying that you did set the min shutter speed before 1/30 and the camera elected to use the higher ISO and faster shutter anyways?

a) the thread is about using auto ISO in manual, not Av
b) I don't see that it's possible to just set the max ISO on any Nikon. There is also an shutter speed.

Are you saying that you did set the min shutter speed before 1/30 and the camera elected to use the higher ISO and faster shutter anyways?
a) You are the one responding to my posts.

b) No, I'm saying, once again, that I set the ISO ceiling to 1600. I set the minimum shutter speed to 1/500 second, I think, however the camera was not able to achieve that shutter speed before reaching the ISO ceiling I had selected so it used 1/30 second. It would not have mattered if I had chosen ANY shutter speed above 1/30 since the camera could not use it based on the lighting conditions and the ISO ceiling I selected.

1/500??!

You chopped the rabbit's legs off before stuffing it into the sack. If you're using a feature wrong, it's pretty unlikely to produce good results.

I suspect that Nikon and you mean opposite things by 'minimum' and I acknowledge that it's an easy mistake.

nikons you set min shutter and max iso.

1/500??!

You chopped the rabbit's legs off before stuffing it into the sack. If you're using a feature wrong, it's pretty unlikely to produce good results.

I suspect that Nikon and you mean opposite things by 'minimum' and I acknowledge that it's an easy mistake.

nikons you set min shutter and max iso.
^^ What Braineack said.

Regardless of the minimum shutter speed set the Auto-ISO functionality will NOT go above the ISO ceiling set. If it cannot get to the minimum shutter speed without exceeding the ISO ceiling then it just will not get there. Had it used 1/500 second at ISO 1600 then the shot would have been 4 full stops underexposed.

i just tried it. if you are way over the ISO cap, it will lower the shutter speed past the min.

I dunno at what EV point it decided to override, but it seems it will go past the min shutter to achieve the exposure. When it does, the flash light blinks, so I guess that's your warning.

You wanted a minimum of 1/8 not 1/500. You and Nikon disagree about what 'minimum' means, and you were setting the wrong end of the range.

Well, as I understand it, anyways.

You wanted a minimum of 1/8 not 1/500. You and Nikon disagree about what 'minimum' means, and you were setting the wrong end of the range.

Well, as I understand it, anyways.
No, you and Nikon disagree about what 'minimum' means.

I suggest you download the D7100 manual from Here and pay particular attention to the line in Section 3, Page 81 that reads "Shutter speeds lower than the minimum value may be used if optimum exposure can not be achieved at the ISO sensitivity value selected for Maximum sensitivity." I set the minimum shutter speed to an arbitrary 1/500 second value, the firmware did exactly as it said and lowered the shutter speed to achieve the proper exposure AT THE ISO CEILING I HAD SELECTED.

I'm done here.

It's too bad you left before I could point you to the sentence that begins 'In modes P and A'

I really like auto ISO but I do find it worthwhile to set a maximum value and keep an eye on the exposure meter because if the ISO hits its limit on either end you will end up with an image that is over/under exposed. Also you can adjust aperture/shutter speed so that the meter is showing over exposure and then back off a bit, then you know you are at a low ISO.

If I am shooting a landscape or something and I have all the time in the world I turn everything off auto (except WB but I deal with that in post)

Most reactions

Back