auto? manual?

kimbie05

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
in my last post ("nikon! film to digital"), everyone suggested the n80 to me, and i looked it over and it seems pretty perfect for what i'm going for (thanks, everyone)! however, i noticed that it doesnt have manual...and considering that the only camera i own now is ONLY manual, i'm a little weary. i just feel like i NEED that manual option...just in case.

so, i guess does anyone have suggestions? i want nikon, no matter what. and i want the lenses to be compatible when i (eventually) get that d70. and since i'm a super poor recent college grad, i'm hoping to stick to 300-ish in the price range. but, if everyone still insists that the n80 is the way to go, i'm not totally opposed to it. i guess...i just...will miss my manual.

thanks!

I can't say for certain but I'd be extremely surprised if there is no manual option. It's not always listed because it's pretty obvious. I remember feeling the same way you do now what I was picking out my first SLR. You should be able to switch off the auto-focus, set it into shutter priority, aperture priority and fully manual.

The Nikon N-80 has both manual focus and manual exposure options.

oh, thank goodness! my information that i found on epinions must have been a little off. thanks again!

Not only can you manual focus the N(F)80, but it has a full manual mode for shutter speed and apeture setting.

I also believe I read somewhere that the N80 body is what was used to create the D70 body.

K

As others have mentioned, this camera *definately* offers manual mode. There's a little switch lever thing on all models from the 55 upwards. It's located next to or opposite the lens release button and it'll say A and M. This allows all of the Nikon bodies to support most of the lenses (the exceptions are generally pre-1970's, check it yourself before you buy if there's any doubt!)

Don't forget that with most Nikon AF lenses, there will be an auto-aperture lock - normally it's colour coded orange. You normally move the aperture to the closed limit (e.g. f22) and move the tiny lock switch and the camera controls the aperture and focus; or you leave it unlocked and change the aperture and focus on the lens and the camera will do the auto-exposure bit. I shoot all my images on a Nikon F3 which only has auto-exposure, so in many ways you will be emulating this method - which I think is the best way to control the shot for day work.

If budget is tight, possibly you should consider either a lower-end model body, or an older model body and save the money for better lenses. Athough a Nikon fiend, I really don't like their AF G zoom lenses and can easily see the superiority of the crisper, faster glass in the prime lenses. There is less flexibility in prime, but more light and generally a sharper image. It all depends on your budget and priorities.

Good luck with the camera, and post some pictures for us all to look at when you get it!

thanks so much for all the tips, robhesketh. i cannot believe how much help i get here. it's almost overwhelming! but so so so useful. thanks again, guys! i'm gonna begin my search right now for that n80.

Yes, as ppl already said it has four modes
Manual -- M
Aperture Priority -- A
Shutter Priority -- F
Auto -- P

You can also select 3 types of focus: manual , Auto with priority to focus and auto with priority to trigger.This last one keeps focusing in a moving subject till you take your picture.

As Rob said, I would stay away from the G series.I prefer to use D ED lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back