Auto or Manual Focus?

Manual on everything but wildlife. I like the control and take the blame when it's screwed up. It teaches me a little lesson when I don't do it right- Take your time.

Lizards, birds, snakes and other living things on the long lens, lately I've been learning to us AF and aperture priority. It don't work too well for me, but better than manual, and definately works for some of the shots by others I find inspiring.

i only have MF lenses so.....
i have used AF on other cameras before and i've even done some extended shooting with a rebel. I sold cameras for a while and never liked the af on any of the kit lenses. Granted i havent used any of the really fancy autofocus moters....
having only used Split prisim screens im fairly fast with the whole focus thing, i can even change aperature, focus and change shutter speed at the same time (involves 2 fingers on focus ring and thumb on aperature ring)
having done that i see the need for autofocus and will deffinatly use it for sports and other types of photography when i need to shoot quickly but everything else will probably stay manual.

speaking of, does anyone know if you can put split prisim screens in a D200 or D80?

IMO manually focusing on Canon's is easier, AF on Nikon's is easier. Nikon's have darker viewfinders, so it's hard to manually focus but it's really easy to see what AF point is selected because it's bold and huge. On the canon's i've shot with (Rebel, 10D, 20D, 5D, 1Ds mkII), there is nothing that indicates what AF point you have selected until you press down the shutter. There's just a bunch of REALLY small, hard to see squares.

Both, but prefer MF. As a matter of fact, I prefer manual at everything. The more you do and the less the camera, the more enjoyable photography becomes.

Let me assure you, there ain't no a such a thing as focus on my pinhole camera...

hahaha

same goes for box cameras

If I had ring USM motored lenses, I'd leave it on AF and take over manuall all the itme. I already use the * as my focus lock button. I find myself switching up my focus all the time anyway, but with a ring USM it would be a little off of 50 50 leaning to AF slightly more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back