Auto white balance always wrong in cloudy or snowy conditions?

:confused::confused:....it's beyond me why you're not already ruling the word. Being better than all of us I mean...

pascal

ha ha ha ha.. well here we go.. I am trying my best to explain something that is very simple

how did we twist this around ? ruling the world.? better than? no!

I am nothing. nobody.. but I do know what I know from reading only!

and it works!

Now if I am not explaining things properly.. then I will do my best to make a clearer presentation. I live in a place where people are absolute authorities on everything.. yet it is sad.. because (I am not talking about photography) they don't know what THEY are saying.

I have owned many luna pro's.. I just gave them all away. to people that wanted to learn. I learned so much . from watching that light meter. I had all the attachements and read those manuals 100 times.. I am a very slow learner.. but once I understand and REMEMBRE what all of those words say.. then I am on my way .. to better resultsl!

I am in the Arctic.. much snow/ ice.. and I show you via a kodak chart

starting points for Exposure values. Now one person says they live in this country and that won't work.. YES IT WILL. it will work anyplace in the world.. BUT YOU HAVE TO CHANGE THE NUMBERS to suit your location.

I have never been to other countries.. so I dont know, where your starting point may be. but you still use EV values.! If you understand them and how they work. and if you truely understand how they work, then just by knowing ONE NUMBER.. you can correclty build all 22 ev charts..in your head ! (using your fingers)

BUT.. if a peson is always looking and depending on that light meter.. THEN YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND what I am talking about.

let me try and explain it like this; First of all I think you will agree, that ONLY three things happen (exposure wise) when you press that shutter.

1. image is too dark

2. image is too light

3. Image is correctly exposed

IT does not matter.. where you live in the world or which planet you are going to visit. Light is light!... Light has different colors, initensities. etc.

I use EV 15 100 ISO I am very comfortable with this method. so comfortable that I only have to expose one frame of film to obtain the results I want. I have been doing this for decades. with no ruined film exosure wise.. I only got 10 frames per roll. I dont want multiple frames of the same subject. all I need is just one. I want ten different images on that roll not 1 image 10 different angles or views.

EV 15 = 125 @ F 16 now that fits me perfect where I live. and i have used this in the Arctic, in Seattle, in Boston! and all over Alaska. and it works.

Now you don't have that light intensity in a different country say Scotland..

so what EV do you use ? well I am not in Scotland so I know that it must be a LOWER NUMBER. such as EV 12 @ 100 ISO = what ? I bet you have no idea yet? it is only three stops difference.. so now.that you know what your starting point is.. you can use EV values!

EV 12 @ 100 ISO = 125 @ f -5.6

125 @ f 5.6

Just by knowing that ONE NUMBER. in that EV chart. now you can fill out all 22 charts in your head! it is THAT SIMPLE! but.. you might have to use your "fingers" ! but now you can switch to any EV and instanly fill out that chart or any chart.! every shutter / f stop combination yeilds that exact same results but with greater / lesser depth of field.

I am very sorry if I didn't explain this clearly.

One more Illustration that will CONFUSE any meter made.!

I am outside.. bright sun.. a person is up against a black wall wearing white clothing.. what are YOU going to meter.. I am just going to look at the light.. and make the setting and click and I have a perfect exposure.

125 @ f 11 = ! PERFECT ! USING 100 iso BRIGHT SUN DISTINCT SHADOWS

I'm not questioning your knowledge, but c'est le ton qui fait la music and after reading your comment, the Geico commercial came to mind: "First of all, I'm not a 100 percent in love with your tone right now". ;)

But hey, keep sharing the knowledge! People like me benefit from it greatly.

pascal

HA HA HA.. tone? I haven't got to speaking about "tone" INIG yet.!

I don't want to act ? like a no it all.. or anything else.. I just want to help people understand.. it took a long time, FOR ME to learn this.. I did not read this in any book. I read a carton of film and decided to try it and found it was a lot easier than using a light meter.

but the main THING I notice right away.. was my negatives were a lot more consistently exposed!

out on the ocean ice... A METER is bouncing all over the place! if I have to take the time to adjust that meter.. I just missed many photographs.

that can NEVER ever be captured again!

I have no idea,? what you typed.. I think it is french.. the only thing I know about french is bread and large fries. & the name of a "mustard"!

I only had a "split second' when I saw this girl standing there like this.

I raised my camera and -=click=- I was offered $100,000 for the complete rights to this image.. I DECLINED!....I went to the GALLERY I used to work for, This Famous Art Gallery does not sell photographs,
they only work with the top ten artist's in the WORLD.. I took their advice. They advised me to have litho's made.. so they could place this..in their gallery for sale!

dellafay.jpg

wow ease up there. As I said I have used the old rule of thumb as a guide before, I was mearly pointing out it may need adjustments depending which part of the world you are in, mostly for the benefit of others. I did in no way mean to put your knowledge in question!

Btw nice photo :)

One more Illustration that will CONFUSE any meter made.!

I am outside.. bright sun.. a person is up against a black wall wearing white clothing.. what are YOU going to meter.. I am just going to look at the light.. and make the setting and click and I have a perfect exposure.
With all due respect, you need to learn to operate the meter properly.

Spot meter off the person's face, and you will get a good reading. You can also meter off the blue sky (away from the sun) and you will be darn close.

But, that being said, stick with what works. If you can eyeball it and get the exposure correct, more power to you. I'm not nearly that good, and need my camera's meter to help me.

JD

but I took these 27 years ago, and to this day there is no collection like it in all of Alaska. you can't bring a camera into a whaling village & take photographs.. I was very very fortunate to have been chosen by a Captain.

.. to do. accept that amount. However the Vice(pun intended)President of that bank. is in jail now! But I did turn it down and I am glad I did for have made way more, each year, than that amount.

I make more that that every year off my images. I am not hear to brag or lift myself up in any manner. Just to offer advice and illustrations because I once was.. a newbee, obsessed with learning this. and I needed inspiration, just as so many menbers of this board do. I offer what I have learned the hard way. To help others avoid the same mistakes. I learned from Kodak. Just by reading their directions over and over until I had them memorized. Then I STARTED to understand. but there was one thing I could NEVER UNDERSTAND.. is that when I took a photograph .. it would not look exactly like what I saw when I originally looked at it. it was never the same. Then i read one statment about Ansel Adams.. when he printed in his darkroom.. THEN instantly I KNEW what I was doing wrong.
Just by reading one sentence, my printing changed so dramaticaly, that when professional color labs were given the negative and the print.. THEY COULD NOT DO.. what they saw in that finished image!

In the darkroom,, it is all accomplished by using your 'hands" ! UNDER that lens between the lens and the paper, your hands CREATE the IMAGE YOU WANT!

this is the statement that I had read.. "it would often take Ansel Adams 30 or more sheets of paper.. to make one perfect print!

pic.JPG

At least, 20 times a week, during the tourist season, and other times of the year, People walk by our gallery in Anchorage, and they often point to the pic of the girl above. Daisy Della Fay, and they tell the visitor. .. "That is MY daughter.. when she was young".. True! ha ha ha.!

-=click=- if i had to mess with a light meter.. no matter how simple it was, I would have never gotten that shot of that expresson on her face. The computer monitor does not do justice to this image!

I am not hear to brag or lift myself up in any manner.

Well, you've managed to hide that well and fool an awful lot of us.

You say you've gone from being a foreman in an airport to the world's foremost photographer just by reading a film carton?
Wow! I wish I had thought of that. Is there any more packaging material you would recommend to us newbies?

WOW.. you have been reading everything I have been typing.. good for you.. but please .. DONT ADD WORDS.. that I didn't say.. yes I worked at an airport.. I NEVER SAID "WORLDS FORMOST PHOTOGRAPER" you added those words and they are not true. I am nothing, cept a little bit successful at photography in one unique area only. I haven't touched a camera since 1990

I have said over and over again on this board! who am I ? no body nothing!

but I have learned a few things.. "have I learned anything else by reading instructions or film cartons ?

as a matter of fact I have .. and Kodak offered me 10 million dollars. and told me to get it patented! Now i would like to write about this true story. and tell the truth. just to inspire some people to THINK outside of KODAK'S BOX !

I am nothing, cept a little bit successful at photography in one unique area only.

Something I think we can all agree on here.
But if you really believe this then why do you not recognise that there are other photographers here who know easily as much, if not more, than you? Or who have achieved as much, if not more, than you?
Your posts have a small amount of basic knowledge in them hidden under a whole heap of bullsh*t, waffle and patronising, arrogant, bigoted opinion.
People are her to learn and share, not have you dictate to them and then get arsy when they disagree with you.
And you haven't touched a camera for 17 years?
How do you expect anyone here to take you seriously?
As things stand now you are in danger of coming across as nothing more than a loud mouthed and boring buffoon. Perhaps we should have a show of hands of all the people who currently skip over your posts without reading them. It appears that you accept people do.
I'm sure you have a lot to offer the people here but your personality is getting in the way.

Remember the old proverb:
The man that is self-taught has a fool for a teacher.

Maybe you should now try to learn from others instead of off film cartons.

no pun inteneded! I have not lied about anything or stretched the truth about anything I have tried to teach here.

from Oct 69 to July 1990 I was truely obsessed with photography.

I still am.. but I can't see well enough now that I am disabled. I thought I could pass on some information that is all true..

yes paramount studio's wanted to know who taught me also.. !

and if you read that post you will find out who my teacher was and how I learned so much.

As I look back on my photography experiences.. I have taught hundreds of people. and never has anyone insuled me over simple statments I have made.. PLEASE show me one line of bullshat ?

I can back up everything I have stated.! so sorry to offend you sir Avis!

And you haven't touched a camera for 17 years?
How do you expect anyone here to take you seriously?

We can argue about anything in here, but that post was unneccessarily rude. If somone didn't take any images for decades, that does not mean he forgot everything.

I agree that I would not agree with everything Majik says, and that some posts might be confusing and not really helping beginners whose practial problems with photography are just different from Majik's answers,

Was of my daughter age 5 Kezia 2002 -=click=-

kezia.jpg

When I say I haven't used a camera .. I mean.. USED.. as in 20 -40 rolls constantlly shooting.. no!

those days are well over for me..

http://majikimaje.com/drkrm15.jpg I can't do that no more.. contact dermititis.. I break out all over the place just form the fumes from chemicals.. sure I pick up a camera every now and then.. BUT NOT LIKE I USED TO "USE" ONE!

Most reactions

Back