Autofocus

PhotoDonkey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Personally, I prefer manual focusing, especially for macro photography.

Is it better to get good at manual focus, or should I be relying more on the autofocus?

Get good at Manual focus anyways. Nothing is wrong with autofocus though. If you can't get the results you want using autofocus you can easily switch.

With macro photography, the DOF is so thin that it would make sense to be very precise with your focus. Actually, with Macro, it's often easier to focus by moving the camera or the subject than by using the lens.

A common accessory for old school macro lenses was a focusing rail, which allowed you to move the lens very precisely.

So what I'm hearing is us the auto-focus when it makes sense to. How effective is auto-focusing for landscapes through a zoom?

So what I'm hearing is us the auto-focus when it makes sense to. How effective is auto-focusing for landscapes through a zoom?

most common landscapes are shot at infinity so autofocus isn't a huge issue...

you are on the money about times when manual focus does not present issues.... the precision of a marco dictates mostly manual focus... and with landscapes you have all the time in the world...

action shots, people, pets moving indoors(or outdoors) is where autofocus trumps manual focus...

Most reactions

Back