Automotive photography

ryank382

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys i recently bought a b + w circular polarizing MRC filter. I mostly take pictures of cars and i thought this would help make the colors pop more and also get rid of the reflections that show up on the headlights when shooting in sunlight. im not sure if the colors are really popping more but there are still many reflections on the headlights that get irritating. i thought this filter would help in getting rid of that. Did i buy the wrong thing or is b+w just not a good company? Maybe im expecting too much difference. There is also some rainbow colored reflections on the headlights that show up in some photos. Is there any other important gear that I should be using while shooting cars?

If I can find time tonight I will try to post examples

I would like to see some examples in regards to your description of rainbow colored reflections. A polarizer reduces glare and reflection. I'm not sure of any that completely eliminate it especially on a vehicle... I've never purchased a B+W but have heard great things.

Like shooting billiards, angles become very important when using a CPL filter. If the Sun or the light source reflected in the headlights is more than 30° above the horizon, and/or not at 90° to the lens axis the effectiveness of the CPL filter will be diminished.

Color pop will be mainly blues and greens, and again position of the light source has to be accounted for. The more out of optimum position the light source is, the less color pop the filter will provide.

thanks for the replies, i have a better understanding of the CPL now. i will try to get originals up tonight but i have 2 edited pictures i can post right now. keep in mind the reflections on these shots were much worse but i edited most of them out. i think i did it by lowering the highlights on them but im not sure

B8 front by ryankalabalik, on Flickr

B8 low front by ryankalabalik, on Flickr

B8 side by ryankalabalik, on Flickr

Most reactions

Back