AV & TV are just stupid

sabbath999

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shot some pix this morning with a friend's XTi, and again I was reminded how stupid the AV & TV are. I always have to fumble around until I remember which one is what... I have finally figured out that when I want to use shutter priority mode I have to look for the thing that makes least sense on the dial and set it to that.

I am sure there is some logical reason that shutter priority would be called TV but I can't for the life of me think of what it would be.

Throughout the history of photography, the word "shutter" (in English at least) starts with an S, not a T.

I wonder why they don't name Priority mode "RV" or "XV" or something equally bizzare. Manual mode could be "BV" or something like that.

all you people with canons and Nikons...

My sony has A and S.... Aperture and Shutter. Simple, eh?

ok, ok...I do have an older Canon EOS A2 film camera...But nothing under the canon 40D really did much for me, and the 40D was way out of my price range...

Tv= Time value I think?

I think Canon refers to "Shutter Priority" as "Time Value". Doesn't really make sense to me either.

If you continually have trouble telling the difference between the two I think photography might be a little advanced for you. How hard is it to remember Tv=shutter and Av=aperature? You're right they might as well choose anything, its just as easy to remember Xv=shutter and Zv=aperature, just learn it once and your done, this is not some algorithmic math equation its TWO LETTERS!

If you continually have trouble telling the difference between the two I think photography might be a little advanced for you. How hard is it to remember Tv=shutter and Av=aperature? You're right they might as well choose anything, its just as easy to remember Xv=shutter and Zv=aperature, just learn it once and your done, this is not some algorithmic math equation its TWO LETTERS!

You are prolly right, photography with a Canon is beyond my technical abilities... I guess I will have to continue to just buy Nikons where the buttons are marked with the actual letters of the thing they represent. I may not be advanced enough to do translations though... TV=S sounds frighteningly like algebra to me, and algebra was nearly the death of my high school education (I am mildly dyslexic, can you imagine doing algebra with dyslexia?)

If you continually have trouble telling the difference between the two I think photography might be a little advanced for you. quote]

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

I find Canon's pictogram type menu system with all of the adjustments sorta like trying to decipher all of the controls in a European car. :lol:

It's ridiculous, I agree. I think it is their desire never to name things the same as their biggest competitor. Canon has IS, Nikon has VR. Canon has T/L lenses, Nikon has PC lenses... and so on and so on.

Time value, and Aperture value, for the record.

I think Canon is crazy encoding all its controls so that you need the manual to understand them. I've seen the labels by the top right buttons on the XT rubbed off before now too.

AV and TV make no sense. Tradition says Ap and Sp. Sure - I can remember which is which but on the XT there are so many wierd things to have to remember.

Yeah its stupid, Av, Tv, and "Green Box?" :confused::lmao:Why the hell, is it a green box?! Why not just P&S? :D

I shot some pix this morning with a friend's XTi, and again I was reminded how stupid the AV & TV are. I always have to fumble around until I remember which one is what... I have finally figured out that when I want to use shutter priority mode I have to look for the thing that makes least sense on the dial and set it to that.

I am sure there is some logical reason that shutter priority would be called TV but I can't for the life of me think of what it would be.

Throughout the history of photography, the word "shutter" (in English at least) starts with an S, not a T.

I wonder why they don't name Priority mode "RV" or "XV" or something equally bizzare. Manual mode could be "BV" or something like that.

Tv maybe Time Value
Av Aperture Value

Most reactions

New Topics

Back